Surviving Minnesota!

So at the council meeting they put the poultry show the day before the livestock show, it is usually the same day. The livestock committee decided this, to give the poultry and rabbit show more attention. Which it won't get on Wednesday because no one will come if it is just R+P. So now you show on wednesday, with an optional bring back your birds on Thursday. I was not happy because if you leave your birds overnight in the barn and it gets hot they will die, but you don't want to be brining them back and forth. One year half the birds died overnight in the barn. So I told to at least make it optional to bring your birds back for Thursday for the premium. Or you dont have to bring a bird back and go into premium with no animal which may get you less money. But not a lot of people are going to bring animals back on Thursday, if you have less than 10 birds and rabbits the day of the livestock show will look bad on the boards part. So I am thinking at the April meeting I will bring that Reserve and Grand of every class either has to stay overnight or come back on Thursday. And that way it can be like a "Champion Row". What do you think on that? I think it should work pretty well.

And then we discussed the NPIP testing day. One week before to make sure no bloody birds the day of. And make sure everyones birds are over 4 months, since last yesr there were a couple od 3 month olds that couldn't be tested and they were allowed to show.

Also the ND state fair now requires 4H exhibtors to have taken YQCA class thing. I can not remember if it was a National thing or not, but make sure you check. It is a $12 class online and a $3 in person

So at the council meeting they put the poultry show the day before the livestock show, it is usually the same day. The livestock committee decided this, to give the poultry and rabbit show more attention. Which it won't get on Wednesday because no one will come if it is just R+P. So now you show on wednesday, with an optional bring back your birds on Thursday. I was not happy because if you leave your birds overnight in the barn and it gets hot they will die, but you don't want to be brining them back and forth. One year half the birds died overnight in the barn. So I told to at least make it optional to bring your birds back for Thursday for the premium. Or you dont have to bring a bird back and go into premium with no animal which may get you less money. But not a lot of people are going to bring animals back on Thursday, if you have less than 10 birds and rabbits the day of the livestock show will look bad on the boards part. So I am thinking at the April meeting I will bring that Reserve and Grand of every class either has to stay overnight or come back on Thursday. And that way it can be like a "Champion Row". What do you think on that? I think it should work pretty well.

And then we discussed the NPIP testing day. One week before to make sure no bloody birds the day of. And make sure everyones birds are over 4 months, since last yesr there were a couple od 3 month olds that couldn't be tested and they were allowed to show.

Also the ND state fair now requires 4H exhibtors to have taken YQCA class thing. I can not remember if it was a National thing or not, but make sure you check. It is a $12 class online and a $3 in person
Here we just have to do Livestock Quality Assurance and Ethics training. (LQA&E). Not sure how similar they are?

North Dakota makes stuff harder than it has to be:lau

We show the day before cattle and leave our birds at the show for 5 days. But we get the option of using fans and we have huge livestock fans in the poultry barn at all times so it stays cool in there.

At state our class/knowledge test is free at the college. We also leave our birds there for 4 or 5 days.

They made these changes because kids exhibiting livestock sometimes had conflicted with the R+P show. I have done both before and never had conflicts...

Here we just have to do Livestock Quality Assurance and Ethics training. (LQA&E). Not sure how similar they are?
Sounds about the sane

North Dakota makes stuff harder than it has to be:lau

We show the day before cattle and leave our birds at the show for 5 days. But we get the option of using fans and we have huge livestock fans in the poultry barn at all times so it stays cool in there.

At state our class/knowledge test is free at the college. We also leave our birds there for 4 or 5 days.
They do sometimes.... Our fair is only 4 days long, and they don't have am actual facility so they have to be in and out quickly. We can use fans, but it is an indoor arena, all tin, and extremely hot once you lock everything up.

@holm23 Those dummies who sleep on the floor are more prone to frostbite because the floor is usually frozen. When they are on the roost, their feathers keep them covered and warm. I have some like that, or have, I should say.
By the way, yes, everyone, I am still kicking around ;) Hi @Bogtown Chick!
I don't know about the rest of you, but I need to find me some KFC poster to threaten the hens with. I am at least a month behind on setting eggs for DD for 4-H and I am getting nothing! How are you all doin'?

@holm23 Those dummies who sleep on the floor are more prone to frostbite because the floor is usually frozen. When they are on the roost, their feathers keep them covered and warm. I have some like that, or have, I should say.
By the way, yes, everyone, I am still kicking around ;) Hi @Bogtown Chick!
I don't know about the rest of you, but I need to find me some KFC poster to threaten the hens with. I am at least a month behind on setting eggs for DD for 4-H and I am getting nothing! How are you all doin'?

:frow! I have a whole group of dummies that sleep on the floor... All are youngins...

I have set eggs but have TERRIBLE fertility...

Back
Top Bottom