Surviving Minnesota!

So DW is getting antsy about getting a garage back. Now I need to figure out what's next for my brooder.

After I make some modifications for venting and handling rain, can these 3 week olds be kept outside? I can still keep a lamp on them.

How big a wreck would I have if allowed them to share the run with the flock?

So DW is getting antsy about getting a garage back. Now I need to figure out what's next for my brooder.

After I make some modifications for venting and handling rain, can these 3 week olds be kept outside? I can still keep a lamp on them.

How big a wreck would I have if allowed them to share the run with the flock?

Personally I wouldn't try integrating them until they're 5 weeks old. Do you have a dog house maybe? and build a fence around it, totally covered top.

My brooder is 4x6 with 2ft walls. I will cover it with a slight pitch for water and allow a little venting.

They still have plenty of space right now. I could probably wait a couple of weeks before access to the run. Otherwise I could build them a small run out of poultry netting and cover it somehow. I haven't had any predator trouble.

Unrelated to chickens...Oldest reading Goodbye Tonsils to the youngest. She looked this book before hers were taken out several years ago. His come out Thursday.
20180508_195344.jpg

Cute children.
How many chicks did you hatch 10 ish? We had a bear visitor Thursday night, the dog barking ran it off. The bears knock down our bird feeders and haven't gone near the coop yet.

Ug comedy of errs tonight in the coop. Took the 1 year old and the 3 year old out to put the chickens away. Chickens promptly entered the coop and I dropped some things so I put the baby outside. She’s standing there and I’m fixing the stuff I dropped. Meanwhile the chickens exit the coop. The rooster proceeds to peck her on the forehead before I had a chance to even notice he was out. Seemed like just a curiosity peck. She is the same size as him. She’s crying so I pick her up and boot him out of the way. He seems fine with it and goes about his business. All of a sudden the 3 year old starts having a meltdown. The rooster was paying him no mind but he thinks the rooster is after him. Rooster hears the screaming and immediately starts chasing the 3 year old. So now I’m chasing him and kicking him out of the way while he’s attacking my legs. And now the baby is screaming again cuz everyone else is. The 3 year old finally gets the picture to go to the house. I get everyone back in the coop and go back to the house. Now the 3 year old is on the porch screaming bloody murder again/still because the cat has him cornered. (She’s pregnant and lonely and wants attention. She’s friendly but now apparently verything is after him). Ug.

So I don’t think the rooster is necessarily aggressive and this was just an alignment of the stars in the worst way. But his days might be numbered :/ anyone need a light Brahma rooster? :)

My brooder is 4x6 with 2ft walls. I will cover it with a slight pitch for water and allow a little venting.

They still have plenty of space right now. I could probably wait a couple of weeks before access to the run. Otherwise I could build them a small run out of poultry netting and cover it somehow. I haven't had any predator trouble.
Ugh. You had better bite your tongue, knock on some wood and keep your fingers crossed after that statement. :(
I said that too a couple days ago and had a fox attack this morning. Lost my pretty Rouen drake. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom