Surviving Minnesota!

Big weekend coming for many of us . I bet BC is getting the camper ready . I am going fishing for 2 days . Too busy really but going anyway . Hey BC any growth from the mystery lilies ?

So let’s say this rooster of mine is destined for the crockpot. What will happened to the dynamic of my flock? 3 hens. All 4 free range during the day. The roo keeps tabs on them. One tends to wander off on her own. Without a rooster are they going to just fall apart? Or will they figure it out? Dang rooster attacked me tonight unprovoked or because I was carrying my toddler or he was offended I was wearing crocks and socks. I gave him the boot and chased him off but he’s on thin ice if he’s gonna start picking fights.

Last edited:
So let’s say this rooster of mine is destined for the crockpot. What will happened to the dynamic of my flock? 3 hens. All 4 free range during the day. The roo keeps tabs on them. One tends to wander off on her own. Without a rooster are they going to just fall apart? Or will they figure it out? Dang rooster attacked me tonight unprovoked or because I was carrying my toddler or he was offended I was wearing crocks and socks. I gave him the boot and chased him off but he’s on thin ice if he’s gonna start picking fights.
I prefer to have a rooster... keeps the ladies in line...

He does his job in that department but if he starts acting like a jerk more than once in a blue moon and attacking me or the kids his options are limited.
If he were mine I would have chipped his head off after the second time. Not worth having around. Maybe try finding a new roo?

If he were mine I would have chipped his head off after the second time. Not worth having around. Maybe try finding a new roo?

So far he’s only attacked (from what I can tell) unprovoked once. The other times a kid was screaming bloody murder at him and running around like an idiot cuz he got looked at (I woulda attacked too). I wonder if he was maybe trying to make a point since I was carrying the toddler? He’s never attacked him when I’m alone and he moves out of my way. Anyway if the hens can manage without him I’m not sure I’d want to try out another roo if we get rid of this one.

So far he’s only attacked (from what I can tell) unprovoked once. The other times a kid was screaming bloody murder at him and running around like an idiot cuz he got looked at (I woulda attacked too). I wonder if he was maybe trying to make a point since I was carrying the toddler? He’s never attacked him when I’m alone and he moves out of my way. Anyway if the hens can manage without him I’m not sure I’d want to try out another roo if we get rid of this one.
The hens will get by without him. I would not have an attack rooster with toddlers around. What if the child had been walking beside you and gotten attacked instead of you? Think about where those spurs would have ended up.

A rooster can "keep the hens in line", but he's not necessary. A dominant hen may take up that role. Your wanderer will figure it out. I wouldn't take the chance on that rooster.

Back
Top Bottom