Surviving Minnesota!

Good morning, all. I'm sorry to crash the party here, but we just lost all but two of our hens the other day in what we think was a hawk attack. So bummed. Anyway, we're looking to add some more hens, as well as a rooster, but due to the coronavirus, it seems chicken sales have gone through the roof; all the online chickens are picked over, and it's not easy to find the breeds we're looking for, unless you want to wait a couple months to even buy day-old chicks. I'm just wondering if anyone here in our state might have some adults or chicks they would be willing to sell. I know it would probably be impossible to get exactly what we want, but I'll just throw out our "dream list" for starters. We'd like a Welsummer rooster plus a Welsummer hen. We'd also like a few cochin hens (especially like golden laced and blue cochins, but others nice as well). An Australorpe or two would be nice, as well as a buff brahma or two. Speckled sussex, various orpingtons (though not so much the buff orpingtons), etc are also of interest. Pretty much open to other breeds though, as well. We have a nice big coop and attached pen. The chickens have a fenced-in yard about an acre or so that they are allowed to roam in. There's lots of trees, bushes and grasses for them to investigate. We have been keeping chickens for about 8 years, and have never had an attack like this before. Usually our chickens live very peaceful (and spoiled) lives. So you can rest assured that any chickens we would buy from you would be well taken care of. We live in central MN and would be willing to drive pretty far to get them. Adults would be nice, but chicks would be a possibility, as well. At this point, I'm just trying to see if there is even anything available here in MInnesota. So if anyone out there has any chickens for sale, please let me know. Thanks so much, and sorry for the lengthly post!

1C412E35-E5F0-4A8C-AB4C-479E0B1727F4.jpeg

super nice people, live just down the road from me. They appreciate a call before you show up, but their are some of your birds!

Thanks for all the kind Mother’s Day wishes to moms! It was far to windy and (ahem “snowy”) to fish, but the DH took us for a family ride to pick up a new ewe, and he made carrot cake from scratch! Just for me! It was a GREAT day! Hope the other moms had a wonderful, peaceful, day too!

I was making sausage all day.

20 pounds of brats , 20 pounds of Italian
And 20 breakfast.

I smoked some but not a lot.

Does anyone know when we might see above freezing temps for a few days straight?
That would be nice. It's supposed to be a little warmer here tomorrow. Rainy and 46°. 🙄

Back
Top Bottom