Suspected cocci?

SweetTea&Chicks

Songster
5 Years
Nov 13, 2017
NW Georgia
My five week old chicks have been sleepy lately. Just napping or laying down in the middle of the day. Whenever I walk out there they run over and jump out of the brooder. Their normal excited self and get active when I take them outside. I haven't noticed any bloody poops but I'll be on the look out. Should I worry and is it ok to treat them with corid?

Can you post some photos of their poop?

In hot weather chickens do sometimes take little naps during the day or they lounge for a while.
If they are getting up and acting normal when you come, they are probably o.k.

Watch to see if they are eating/drinking and going to bed at night with full crops.

Symptoms of Coccidiosis include lethargy, not eating/drinking, loose stools with mucous or blood, a fluffed up/disheveled appearance and loss of balance.

And to answer your last question. No it won't hurt to treat them with Corid if you feel that they are sick. Amprolium is mild and acts as a Thiamine blocker to starve the Coccidia.

Can you post some photos of their poop?

In hot weather chickens do sometimes take little naps during the day or they lounge for a while.
If they are getting up and acting normal when you come, they are probably o.k.

Watch to see if they are eating/drinking and going to bed at night with full crops.

Symptoms of Coccidiosis include lethargy, not eating/drinking, loose stools with mucous or blood, a fluffed up/disheveled appearance and loss of balance.

And to answer your last question. No it won't hurt to treat them with Corid if you feel that they are sick. Amprolium is mild and acts as a Thiamine blocker to starve the Coccidia.
Thanks! I think I've just been catching them when they're relaxing because now I see them up and eating and drinking.

Back
Top Bottom