Suspecting coryza

Sunshine0235

Songster
9 Years
Jun 2, 2011
Lebanon Ohio
I bought some bantam white polish. About three weeks ago, and yesterday I noticed the rooster had swollen eyes and was foul smelling. Im suspecting coryza, so far no other symptoms but the foul smelling eyes, and a little discharge from the eyes. There is a high chance of coryza, but he also had some wet feed/dirt/poop around his face, is it possible that it just got into his eyes and caused an infection, cause I believe infections have a bad smell to them too. Ive put a opthalmic ointment into his eyes starting yesterday, and did one 1/2cc dose of tylan 50 yesterday just in case it was coryza. And plan on doing a dose each day.

They are still in quarantine in the garage, if it is coryza, would a viable option be to keep them from the rest of the flock completely, and breed them together and hatch the eggs since the virus doesn't travel through the egg? Like have them in a pen on the completely separated, these guys in the front until I get enough eggs to hatch, and then cull them, with the house and yard in between them and my keepers. Only have my parents take care of them, and me only care for the ones in back, just until I get about 20-25 eggs to hatch? I spent a pretty penny on these birds, and dont want to throw it all away if I can still get some hatching eggs from them.

All sources I've seen says it doesn't pass through the egg. So as long I do this properly and practice good bio-security, is this possible to do? I can get full throw away suit things for caring for the infected ones if that would also help.

I dont plan on getting any other birds at all, only planning on hatching from my breeders after this.

Back
Top Bottom