Swamp Cooler To The Rescue In Record Heat Wave

Quote:
Today my dew point is 72. I know it's humid here most days. My coops are shaded half the day, are under a roof and have a solid back. The front and sides are hardware cloth open for ventilation. I plan to put the coolers inside the coop and leave them open as they are now for ventilation and evaporation. I can put ice in the water reservoirs which may help. I really don't know if this is going to be effective or a huge waste of money (that I really don't have right now). I'm using the frozen soda bottles presently, but they get the shavings wet as they condense and it makes a mess....besides taking up a lot of space in my limited freezer.

Last edited:
Featherbaby, I'd only unpack one and keep all the packing materials cause I think you'll be sending those babies back. Your humidity level is gonna be way to high for an evaporative cooler to work.

Quote:
Today my dew point is 72. I know it's humid here most days. My coops are shaded half the day, are under a roof and have a solid back. The front and sides are hardware cloth open for ventilation. I plan to put the coolers inside the coop and leave them open as they are now for ventilation and evaporation. I can put ice in the water reservoirs which may help. I really don't know if this is going to be effective or a huge waste of money (that I really don't have right now). I'm using the frozen soda bottles presently, but they get the shavings wet as they condense and it makes a mess....besides taking up a lot of space in my limited freezer.

Sounds like a good plan. If anything air circulation will help. Those coolers are robust. They all have the option to run them with the water turned off.... in order to run them as a dry blower. And since your walls are open for the most part that moisture will move on through.

Keep us posted for sure.

It is very very hot here in Texas I lost a couple of hens last year due to the extreme heat. I bought a line mister and secured it where the hens sit during the day. It has done the trick. They sit right under it and stay cool during the hotest part of the day. If the coolers don't work keep that in mind.

Featherbaby, they may help a little, and I hope so for you, but that size evap doesn't move much air......here in hot AZ we use open-air coops, too...have to...but when using an evap it might help to close another side, or 2 more sides of the coops (partially) so it blocks out more of the hot outside air from blowing in...with 2 sides fully open to the outside air even very large evaps can't keep up with the hot air that blows through open sides...the hot air coming in just carries away any cooler air. Maybe a little tarp tent "wind" tunnel, or something like that, rigged up in front of the evaps would at least keep some cooler air in a confined area that the chickens could hang out in as needed. Hoping it works out for you!

Quote:
Dry ice turns to Co2 gas when it melts. It pools down and would be contained briefely in any four sided container. Like say walls of a coop. It would drive out the oxygen. If you put dry ice in water it creates fog. Be very very careful.

Back
Top Bottom