Swampy duck yard odor - any enzymes or other additives that might help?

hfchristy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 10, 2012
This warm winter is really messing with our duck set up. They normally spend the cold months up closer to our house without much of a yard, but when it's snowy they don't really want to wander far anyway and frozen poop doesn't smell bad. Then when it thaws, we shovel it out. The bedding in the house needs to be changed more often in this setup, but we're able to do that easily enough.
This year, our usual snow has all been rain and the yard is rank! We can keep adding pine nuggets to raise the ducks up out of the puddles, but it still smells awful. Do any of the Dookashi type of additives work in puddles or are those just for dry bedding? I see a lot of chicken owners here who love that, but don't know if it works for my situation.

Yes there is a product.
Farm 360.
It is from the same company that makes Gro2Max, what in my mind is the best probiotic for poultry.
https://gro2max.com/farm360/
How do you apply it to an area that's already wet? Would I still mix it into a solution to spray or can I just sprinkle it into the mud/puddles? Will that risk harming the ducks since the dilution isn't as carefully controlled?

I think you would get more complete coverage but mixing it as directed. Otherwise the bacteria in it would be hit and miss taking longer to quell the odor.
Primarily what creates the odor is anaerobic bacteria which thrive where oxygen can't reach. That is flooded areas or extremely wet substrates. With that in mind, the best thing you can do is to try to raise the ground level removing the swampiness.
Adding soil, sand anything that will raise the elevation would help. Keep in mind that if you have clay soil, which it may be since it holds water, adding sand won't help. That will turn it into cement essentially with the clay and sand mixture. Soil, preferably loamy soil is best. Bedding out of your coops may help.

Back
Top Bottom