Swapping 11 week old cockerel for pullet - my experience so far with a few questions on how to cont

goldfishes

Songster
6 Years
Jun 13, 2014
WV
Please bare with my mini novel; I am trying to provide a little background so you all can help me. :)

After much persuasion, my husband relented into allowing a small flock of pullets. (The old "You can take a gal out of the country..." saying applies here.) Living in the city, we searched the laws and was approved for the hens (first permit issued in over 12 years!) Feeling elated, we purchased six pullets at the local Tractor supply. We ended up with two red hens which I think they called Production Reds and four Americanas which I have learned from much lurking are actually Easter Eggers. Lo and behold they thrived and we ended up with half a dozen healthy youngsters.

However, as I had been suspecting for weeks, one of the pullets sadly turned out to be a cockerel (at 10 weeks he started to crow!) We talked to one of the workers at the store telling him how one of our birds was a boy. Best case scenario for our little guy, the guy perked up and immediately offered my husband a pullet in trade. He wanted to breed his pullets when the time comes. I was very hesitant as I read that it's not a good idea to add just one pullet, but I eventually agreed to my husband's request. After all, he let his country bride bring birds to the city life.

Interestingly enough, when we bought our chicks, he and his family was purchasing theirs from the same batch at the same time. In fact, the new girl looks just like our Speckles with a white head instead of black. Perhaps this is why it isn't going so terribly (in comparison to the stories I've read over the past few weeks.)

So here is where I get to the point in regards to the new addition:

A brief quarantine was done to ensure she wasn't sick or carrying pests, was eating and drinking and able to use the bathroom without issues. Then, we put her into a shaded dog kennel (4' x 2') in a corner of the run for everyone to get used to one another.

I planned to keep her in the crate much longer like I read, but the squabbling through the crate was minimal and she kept pushing her head through the holes trying to get out. I was afraid she would get hurt, so I decided to see how things would play out with me sitting in the run with them supervising and it didn't go too badly. In fact, it was nothing like the squabbles our cockerel would put the girls through on a daily basis. I was pleased on the overall reaction. There were some pecking, some chasing and a few chest bumps but not vicious attacks. They would ignore her once she retreated but would occasionally go back for another peck or chase.

I put her back in the crate after about 30 minutes for some rest. She seemed calm, so I left her secure and left them alone to give them some space to get aquainted. I came back to check on her at dusk and she was doing that really sad chirping that birds do when they are alone. The other girls had put themselves in bed, so I got her out of the crate and tried soothing her. She calmed down a bit but was still sadly chirping a bit. I let her down to inspect the run to distract her and to my surprise she ran right up into the coop and jumped on the roost with the others!! Just a little bit of squabbling and she was allowed to nestle in. I was shocked. I didn't expect that. We watched for a little while and they seemed to bed down for the night.

The husband took the night shift and checked on them over the next couple hours and all was well. I sat the alarm for dawn and came downstairs expecting disaster. She was kicked off the roost, but was in one piece and no blood! Yay!

After about two hours of monitoring closely, I decided to remove the kennel so she had more room to run away when needed and let her roam around with me checking on them every 15 minutes or so. My husband put up a perch in the run just for her and she has mostly hanging out up there watching the others. They let her explore the coop and run ignoring her but once and a while go and chase or peck at her. If they want to eat, they chase her away so I put feeders and waterers on both sides of the coup and sprinkled meal worms, feed and clover in the run to distract the girls.

So here are my questions:

1. Should I leave her out of the kennel and just supervise and intervene/seperate only if things turn violent?
2. Should I expect the worst is over on the introductions?
3. Will they ever allow her to flock with them or will she always be chased away?
4. My girls are not only shunning the new addition but they seem annoyed with me as well. They usually come up to me when called but aren't as friendly. Is this normal?

Oh and if you stuck with me this far, thanks! Here is a picture of my new girl for being patient:

I think she'll be FINE! You can always expect the re-organization of the proverbial "pecking order" ... relax...take a deep breath...she'll be fine and all will be well in chicken-land!!
yippiechickie.gif

Thanks for the reassurance. I have been around chickens as a kid, but this is my first time owning them. I am pretty sure I've been over thinking things and worrying quite a bit. ;)

Thanks for the reassurance. I have been around chickens as a kid, but this is my first time owning them. I am pretty sure I've been over thinking things and worrying quite a bit. ;)
You're not alone! I'm the very same way, but thanks to BYC forums I've learned not to be an over-thinker....sometimes...!!!
barnie.gif

welcome-byc.gif

It's always much easier to integrate youngsters when they're, well, young. Older birds have a lot invested in their social structure, but birds this young are still figuring theirs out
smile.png
. So, adding a bird isn't quite the drama now that it can be when they're older.

1. Should I leave her out of the kennel and just supervise and intervene/seperate only if things turn violent? Yep, just leave her out and let them work things out. Even if there's a lot of noise, don't do anything unless she's ganged up on in a corner or something like that. What you've described so far is perfectly normal behavior--the beta animal runs away and the alpha animal leaves them alone.
2. Should I expect the worst is over on the introductions? Should be, yes.
3. Will they ever allow her to flock with them or will she always be chased away? I expect she will become part of the flock, but it may take a month or so. Again, them being younger is a good thing here.
4. My girls are not only shunning the new addition but they seem annoyed with me as well. They usually come up to me when called but aren't as friendly. Is this normal? Chickens don't like change at all. Just keep doing what you've been doing and they'll realize it's no big thing. You have to remember their world is tiny, and this was a major upheaval! Just give them some treats and they'll be the same pets they were before.

Thanks both of you for the encouragement and answers. I did what you suggested and just ignored the behavior, observed for ganging and talked as normal with treats. Already, they seem to be doing better. They still don't let her around but they aren't chasing her until she gets even closer now. The other easter eggers are for the most part ignoring her now, it's the red mutts that are the worst. I did read on here that is typical of the breed so I am hoping they will eventually calm down.

I am really surprised it is going this well and am crossing fingers that it continues to improve. My only thought is what I read on here recently that removing the cockerel upset the pecking order and they are still just young enough to be more tolerant. I must say I was really worried about adding just one pullet and despite it going well, I still wouldn't want to do it again just because she is lonely right now.

Good story, well told...sounds like you handled it all very well.
Probably removing one and replacing with another at the same time of the same age(and young) indeed helped.
She may always be low bird, but someone has to be. She's a cool looking bird.

Thanks, aart. I am really bad at forums apparently as I am just now noticing your reply. So if you read this, my apologies for not responding earlier.

For those out there like myself that are struggling with introducing only one bird and may have wondered whatever became of the situation, I have decided to update.

There is hope! It can be done with patience, separation when it gets rough, boredom busters and a bit of interference when needed. It went from shockingly well to downright school yard bullying to somewhat acceptance these past few tumultuous weeks. I don't know who was more distressed - the bird or myself.

We installed a perch in the run as a way for Chloe to escape the wrath of the red birds. They were relentless at times and even one of the easter eggers would join in the chasing. Once the new girl figured out she had an escape route, she would spend most of her day on the perch. We propped up a small waterer and feeder to ensure she had access to food. For some reason, the other birds didn't use the perch in the beginning (thankfully.) Now the easter eggers will fly up there occasionally but the two red birds won't even try.

Then, we got a small 4 x 4 pen and took the two meanest red birds out of the run for the afternoon a few days in a row and introduced Chloe to the others while sitting in the run. This gave her a chance to see not all the birds were out to get her and was able to make a little headway with getting established with the run itself. Once the birds spent most of the day outside pecking at grass and other treats, I would put them back in the run and they seemed too busy "talking" about their trip with the others to notice Chloe was still on the ground. Eventually, one would notice, a chase would ensue and Chloe would jump on the perch. But gradually, over the next few trips, they didn't seem to care as much and Chloe would spend a little more time on the ground.

Also, I put in a few plastic tubs around to block their line of sight. The new bird found the obstacles comforting and the red birds were so curious about these new "intruders" that they began to ignore her even more as they investigated.

Anyway, they are now nearly 16 weeks old (will be this week!) and the new addition is getting more accepted. She will still get pecked occasionally by the red birds and one easter egger and even chased if they are feeling annoyed. But they have now accepted her enough to let her walk around in the run without incident for the most part. She still is the last in the coop at night and spends a lot of time alone, but two of the birds has now started to hang out with her on the ground and even on her perch. Chloe is now feeling comfortable enough to eat with some of the other birds! I see that as a huge stride.

Now I have been removing the food from the perch in the afternoons to try and coax her down more. It really is helping. I leave the water on the perch 24/7 so that she never goes without.

I only intervened occasionally by blocking the red girls when they were being especially hateful and that seemed to really be a turning point. I would say nothing but give them a treat to redirect their behavior. I have found even though there is a pecking order and it does need to be worked out, these birds are smart enough to know I bring them treats and they get more if they are being good. They really are smarter than I would have given them credit.

One awesome thing I learned about this bird is she adores humans and loves to sit in your lap and be petted like a dog. I don't know what those children did to this chicken while they had her, but she is the sweetest bird I've ever seen. She's more friendly than our cat. Maybe I should buy all my future birds off these people because in comparison, my five birds are feral jerks that love nothing more than to try and eat my freckles and only sit in my lap long enough to poop. ;)

So, if you are ever in this situation, I will give you my few main points of advice from a very inexperienced person.

1. Don't do it. Don't introduce just one bird. It's gut wrenching to see how brutal your sweet loving birds can be to the newcomer.
2. If you you ignore #1, be prepared to get creative, create lots of barriers and distractions and have a place for the bird to rest if things go poorly.
3. Stay at home for the first few days. Be within ear shot. Seriously, they can get brutal.
4. Have a lot of patience and don't rush things.

Glad it's working out better these days.
They will always be some seemingly vicious pecking, it happens all the time...but it doesn't seem to bother them, so I have learned not to let it bother me.
I have found observing their behaviors pretty fascinating. It takes quite a long time to figure out what they are doing, which in the meantime teaches you to be patient.

Back
Top Bottom