Sweet PDZ?

I tossed down an entire bag of granular PDZ in my 8x12 run this spring and it helped with the stink from the wet sand. My run is covered but the ground was saturated from snowmelt. I also noticed that the areas where I didn't rake the PDZ in fully so there was a higher ratio of PDZ to sand dried quicker than spots that were mostly sand. I don't think PDZ packs down like sand so it dries quicker.
I thought that I read on BYC that the PDZ should not get sopping wet.
But your experience certainly contradicts that.
Come to think of it, I do have a couple of bags mixed with the sand in my run, and it seems fine with some moisture. I guess you'd want to be sure the run is covered, so it has a chance to actually dry out periodically during the year.

My whole 100 sq foot coop and poop board is nothing but PDZ. It dries SO much faster than sand, when water DOES get in. It doesn't hold stink at all like sand and pine shaving or hay.

PDZ may be a deodorizer, but it wasn't cutting it when mixed with sand or pine shavings. It's been worth it in my coop. NO smell. No flies. Compostable, easy to clean - just scoop and go.

One thing about PDZ is it lasts a long time. The orginal bag we put on the poopboard in April is still good. We've added a little since then because it gets kicked off but since the droppings get sifted out, it doesn't really "wear out".

I use PDZ outside, whenever a wet, hot mess accumulates. It happens when my donkeys decide to have a poop party on the patio block walkway, or when it rains like a monsoon in Iowa and that interesting green fuzz won't go away, or when my granddaughter feeds crumbles outside and they get wet and sour and gross. I have a sandbox with about 3" of sand and just a little PDZ, that I scoop daily - it is soooo nice to have a clean-smelling coop!

Back
Top Bottom