Sweeter Heater vs Premier1 Heating Plate

I prefer using the heating plate, most of the chickens I have had have gone under one. It gives the chicks a choice on whether they want to be warm or not, and I've never had problems with too cold or to hot chicks. The chicks can actually stay warm under it without having to touch it.

An update on my outside research:

I messaged Premier yesterday to ask them about whether I could use their heating plate in ambient temperatures in the 20s and 30s and the representative said that they recommend a warmer room temperature, and if it's too cool, the chicks won't spend enough time out eating and drinking. I know that folks have indeed had success in some lower temps with the Premier (like you, @henless), but I think I'm too nervous to risk it, in case my particular situation is set up in a way that won't be as successful. I really appreciate you sharing your experience, though! It helps us all learn more about the options. I'm also grateful to Premier for being upfront about their recommendations. I know that their heating plates are very popular and I think I'd definitely look more seriously at it if I was brooding in a warmer environment.

I also messaged Sweeter Heater, because after visiting their own website, I was unsure that I'd selected the right size for my 15 chicks and that perhaps I'd need a larger one for colder temps. This was from their reply, "The OH11x16 is plenty big for 15 chicks. The larger size has more surface room, but is not any hotter than the other sizes. However, in temps that cold, you will want to make a cave out of the heater. If you take a towel or blanket, and drape it over the top (the top is cold to the touch), and leave one side open for them to come and go, you’ll trap more heat underneath. For new chicks, you’ll want it right above their heads, about 4-6 inches from the grounds. You’ll want to watch them – if they pile, they are cold. If they an panting and laying outside of the edges, they are hot and you’ll want to raise it up."

I also found through the Sweeter Heater website that Gail Damerow (who wrote Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens and is a well-known chicken expert) has used their heaters in some of their brooders and has written in Backyard Poultry Magazine about her set-up using them. Sweeter Heater also says on their website that they've been making heaters since 1995 and haven't been involved with a fire issue.

So now I'm feeling much better about giving the Sweeter Heater a try. I am wondering if I could test the temperature under it using a thermometer in a container of water? The Sweeter Heater is designed to heat solid objects rather than the air, so I'd think that water would heat up, right? Maybe that's a silly idea. :D I just want to start experimenting with it and figuring out my system before my chicks arrive at the end of April. With standard heat bulbs it's simple to just stick a thermometer underneath and monitor the temperature fluctuations. Radiant heat will be a new ballgame.

What temperatures do you typically brood in?
Sorry, I'm not sure the coolest temps I've used the pad in.

I am wondering if I could test the temperature under it using a thermometer in a container of water?
No. the way plates heat is by contact with the chicks back.
It's why the legs should be adjustable.

and if it's too cool, the chicks won't spend enough time out eating and drinking.
Eh...maybe, but I've had a broody hatch in single digits temps, and the chicks came out to eat and drink...tho the first week I provided wetted feed right in front of the nest.

Thanks for your reply! I've used a 250w red bulb for years but I've often been really nervous about fire risk, even though I have it securely hanging on a chain with hardware cloth between the bulb and the chicks. I have seen some people put a non-heating light in the brooder with these non-bulb heaters, so I might consider adding that. I wouldn't want them to get lost away from the heater.
I’ve used what I call the reptile heat emitters. I have from 50 watt all the way up to 200 watt depending on temps. In my experience they are best used with the same reflective fixture as used for the red lights. I will usually add a night light when I use the heat emitter. Hope that helps.

Sorry, I'm not sure the coolest temps I've used the pad in.

No. the way plates heat is by contact with the chicks back.
It's why the legs should be adjustable.

Eh...maybe, but I've had a broody hatch in single digits temps, and the chicks came out to eat and drink...tho the first week I provided wetted feed right in front of the nest.
Thanks so much, @aart!

I haven’t actually used any of the non-bulb heaters myself yet, but it’s my (limited) understanding that while heating plates such as the Premier1 do, as you point out, heat via near contact with the animal, the Sweeter Heater radiates heat downward and does not require contact to heat. I don’t know enough about the engineering difference is to explain precisely why this is, but the two types of heaters must be made differently. :idunno But they do say you can’t rely on a thermometer to measure accurately with the Sweeter Heater, either, since it doesn’t heat air. That’s why I wondered if it might heat water, but wasn’t sure if it would actually work. :)

I agree with you—I would think the chicks will still come out in cold ambient temps as long as they have a reliable heat source. I wonder if the representative meant that if the heater can’t keep up in cold temperatures, the chicks will stay under the heater too much in their (unsuccessful) attempts to stay warm, since they aren’t getting warmed back up enough to brave going back out again?

I’ve used what I call the reptile heat emitters. I have from 50 watt all the way up to 200 watt depending on temps. In my experience they are best used with the same reflective fixture as used for the red lights. I will usually add a night light when I use the heat emitter. Hope that helps.
I just discovered these! They’re a cool heat lamp alternative, seems like the lower light would provide a more natural brooding environment.

I will look at rigging up a light in my brooder. Do you have your light over the food/water or over the heat?

I just discovered these! They’re a cool heat lamp alternative, seems like the lower light would provide a more natural brooding environment.

I will look at rigging up a light in my brooder. Do you have your light over the food/water or over the heat?
I don’t even have it in the brooder I have it just hanging above to provide a very dim light for them.

Oh! Well, that would be easy enough. I have an existing wooden arm over my brooder for my heat lamp fixture; I could probably convert it to a regular lamp fixture.

Back
Top Bottom