Swelling around eye?

mallory2013

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Mar 3, 2011
Western WI
Hi everyone!
One of my pullets, 13 week old Jenny who is a partridge Cochin, has developed a swelling all around her eye. When I first saw it from afar I thought that her eye had been pecked out or something because her eye looked so sunken back in her head. It has been swollen like this since this morning. She has been eating, drinking, and foraging normally, though she did seem a little more lethargic than usual. I don't believe it is pecking because the little pin feathers (please excuse me if that is the wrong terminology) around her eye are still there. Also there doesn't seem to be bruising, which I saw a picture of on here and looks green I believe. She is also fairly high in the flock order, maybe 3 or 4 out of 9 pullets and one young rooster. All her flock mates are the same age (13 weeks) except for two that were replacement chicks and are 11 weeks so it is not bullying from older hens. Could she have gotten stung by something? Or poked herself on a stick or thorn? I just hope it isn't something more serious than I am thinking. Thank you guys so much!

81514_jenny1.jpg

Normal side

81514_jenny3.jpg

Close up of swollen side

81514_jenny2.jpg

Farther away swollen side

No, she is not wheezing or sneezing or anything like that. This is the only outward sign of trouble I have seen. She is eating, drinking and foraging normally. Is there anything I can do for it?

I have that same problem. Only my female DOES have a mucus sound in her lungs when she breathes. No discharge, sneezing or coughing though. I just posted about it on a post about allergies... thats what Im thinking...
sad.png
I hope we both find out soon!

Quote:
Wow I looked at the pictures you mentioned and they look the same as my pullet! Maybe it is allergies? I have terrible allergies right now so I wouldn't be surprised if it was...

Not really sure what it could be at this point being as there she has no symptoms. If it were me, I would bring her inside for the night and the next few days. I would do a saline solution eye wash right now along with a warm compress to the swollen eye. Allow her to rest in a dark room with no distractions. Check on her throughout the night. In the morning, I would observe the eye for any changes as well as other symptoms. I would do another saline solution eye wash and warm compress. If you don't have any saline solution, you can just try to rinse her eye out with water. I would give her some yogurt and regular food for feedings and monitor. I would keep her inside until "something" changes as far as the swelling going down or other symptoms surface that need to be treated.

Back
Top Bottom