Swimming?

Mother Hen to 6

Songster
8 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Kentucky
At what age can I put ducklings in the tub to swim a little? I’m nervous as the last time we had ducks my husband had them outside for a bit of sun and gave them a little tub to swim in and we lost all of them within an hour. I was crushed and haven’t owned ducks since and that’s been a few years ago. But if we let them swim in the house for a few then back under their lights will they be ok?

Mine were swimming at 1 week for very short periods of time in very very shallow water. We went through several 'pools' in the first few weeks. Started with a pie plate, then a bigger pie plate, then the bathroom sink, then a galvanized pan in the bathtub, then the bathtub with just a wee bit of water, then started filling the tub more and more as they got older. Just make sure you start with shallow water so they can stand and a few minutes at a time so they don't get water logged. Then put them back under lights to warm and dry. They should be fine. OHHHHHH and make sure the water is room temp to luke warm - never cold.

At what age can I put ducklings in the tub to swim a little? I’m nervous as the last time we had ducks my husband had them outside for a bit of sun and gave them a little tub to swim in and we lost all of them within an hour. I was crushed and haven’t owned ducks since and that’s been a few years ago. But if we let them swim in the house for a few then back under their lights will they be ok?
I let mine swim in a pie crust pan when they were a few days old. I watched them tho so they wouldn’t get lost or a predator couldn’t get them

Ty all. Just makes me nervous. I’ll give it a go tomorrow as I’m at work until 10 pm. Can’t wait to let them swim. Not sure what happened with the others unless he left them to swim too long or something

I buy the nice plastic paint trays to let my ducks teach themselves how to swim. Then they can walk in and out of the water as they please and sit in the "dry" area to preen.

We let ours swim today, at just 6 days. Much earlier than I initially thought but it's 100 degrees here today. The water was pretty warm (probably in the upper 70s low 80s) and we sat with them the entire time. They were happy and active for well over an hour. Your outside temp and water temp have as much to do with it as age I'd think. If they start to slow down or look lethargic take them out, dry them off, and get them under a lamp ASAP but try not to let it get that far in the first place.
IMG_20180610_150005.jpg

Back
Top Bottom