Switching feed for chicks when mixing them with adults... ?

AllChookUp

Will Shut Up for Chocolate
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Frozen Lake, MN
Hi, I posted this before, but I think it was in the wrong forum.

I've let my teen chicks start mixing with the adult hens I have. As one group, there are 21 of them, and they are getting along great. The chicks are about two months old, and mostly feathered out.

The problem is that the chicks now have access to the hens "Layer" feed and are eating it, instead of their Starter Crumbles. And vice-versa: The hens are pecking into the chicks' "Starter" crumbles.

It's almost time to move the chicks to "Meat Bird" feed anyway. Being my adult hens are in the throes of a moult (forced, due to stress from a fox attack), would it be OK to feed everyone "Meat Bird" feed until the adults start laying again?

It would solve a feeding delimma.

Thanks for your input!

Oh, yes! Do change them all to grower/finisher or meat bird or general purpose feed. And then provide crushed oyster shell free choice for the layers. I stopped buying layer feed when I added the youngsters.

At first I kept layer feed in the main coop where the layers roost, but the pullets chose to eat the grower/finisher instead of their layer feed. Only had 1 soft shelled and one shell-less egg before I realized it... so I added the oyster shell free choice. (Keep a tuna can full, nailed to an inside coop wall.) Now I'm not using layer feed at all. No problems since I added the oyster shell.

Thanks, Linda! I will switch them over this afternoon. I had a feeling I was on the right track with my thinking, but it's good to get confirmation.
smile.png

And yes, I already to offer oyster shells as calcium free-choice. I have a 4" PVC tube that I only have to fill about twice a year.

Thank again!

Back
Top Bottom