switching feed

Roadstump

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 22, 2011
Boerne, Texas
What are the general opinions of when to switch layers from Chick Starter (18% protein) to regular layer feed? I am getting conflicting ideas.

Also, my hens are 8 weeks old now and spend the daylight hours in a run made up with sand and dirt floor, when do you start putting out grit? what kind? granite. oyster shell?

This is probably been asked 1000 times but I figure there are not many subjects that have not already been hashed out so why not ask again.

I switch mine about 16-20 weeks depending on when they go in the layer pen.

I've never used grit, my chickens free range and I figure they can get all they need from out there.

Oyster shell is for adding calcium, not the same as grit. I have Oyster shell free feed all the time in the layer coop.

Hope this helps!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I usually start mine on it at around 18 weeks. If I feed my anything besides their chick starter, scrambled eggs or yogourt they get grit!!

I'd say that you can switch to Layer feed anytime between 16 weeks and 20 weeks. By that time the Pullets are pretty-much matured. I mix the two together for the first week of switching over.

I don't use "grit" or "oyster-shell". For "grit", I just throw a bag of medium "play-sand" out into their run occasionally. For additional Calcium, rather than buying "oyster-shell" - which isn't common in land-locked New Mexico - I just save up their egg-shells and pulverize them in an old cheap electric "Coffee Grinder" (which I also use to grind "dried chiles" for Seasonings). Generally, however, I think that the "Layer Feed" has enough Calcium for the laying hens.

just HOW I do it,
wink.png
smile.png

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom