Switching Feed

Espresso

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 9, 2014
Starbucks
My ducks have always been fed Scratch And Peck. But DH didn't feel like spending $30 this month on duck food so we bought Nutrena Organic Layer Crumble. The ducks don't seem happy with me for this. Ha. Just wanted to see if anyone else uses this for their ducks?

If you have any of the Scratch and Peck left, it helps to blend in the new feed gradually over at least a few days.

I haven't tried Nutrena feeds. I feed Purina FlockRaiser crumbles (and oyster shell on the side and occasional greens/peas for the niacin boost). It's not organic, if that's what you're looking for...that said, I like it and the ducks still beg for it after three years :)

I googled the Scratch and Peck feed and noticed that it is corn-free, so you might not be interested in my winter rations: I work in 25-50% corn for the coldest winter months. It cuts the protein of the FlockRaiser down to 14-17% overall depending on the mix (FR is 20%/corn is 8% min.). The extra carbs help them keep warm in our frigid Midwest winters...I adjust according to weather and their activity level so the corn doesn't make them fat. They free-range in summers and get a reduced ration (and no corn). I've been very happy with FlockRaiser and use it to phase out the expensive non-medicated starter after 4-6 weeks on Manna Pro Gamebird $tarter for the ducklings. FR goes for $16.50/50lbs at our local TSC (northern IL).

I would consider it as an affordable option if you're not set on organic feed (which will always be much more expensive). A 50lb bag will last me about 8 days undiluted for 13 grown Cayugas.

Back
Top Bottom