Switching from bowl to nipple water

bigred77

Chirping
Mar 25, 2015
Marble Falls, TX
Made me a nipple water pipe and installed it two days ago.
The girls (bout 6 weeks old) almost immediately pecked at the nipples and seemed to drink from them.

I left the bowl in there a day, removed it yesterday evening after they had knocked it over again.
But tonight i was curious if they had used the nipples much, so just wanting to see their reaction i put the water bowl back and they went nuts, all crowded around it and have been drinking from it for 5 minutes.
So i am worried they werent using the nipples and are dehydrated.
Or do yall think they are just being dramatic like some females do. :)

What do yall think?
Suggestions?

The water level in the pipe isnt down much if at all.

I am having the same result. mine are 8 weeks and a couple seem to not get much and give up from the horizontal waterer. I have been giving them a little bit a couple times a day and they do the same, drink from it like they are in from the desert.
I am worried because the husband built a 5 gallon one for the big coop but it is the ones that hang from the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket and I am starting to doubt the one year olds will like it or get used to it. I am hoping since it is so much cleaner and easier to deal with. gotta get a chain big enough to hang it from and add the water filler hole/cap in the top still.

Hmm, just read a post about making sure to vent the waterer so the nipples dont vapor lock

I put a screw on cap to try and keep the bugs out of the water, hmmm
Time to go take the cap off and see if they take to the nipples better

It takes some time...sometimes.

I've had widely varying success with the nipples, both horizontals and verticals.
Last year had some 2 day old chicks that got HN's immediately, while older chicks took two days to figure them out.

This year the broody chicks out in the coop got it right off the bat (the other chickens taught them) but the 3 day olds inside took at least a week to master them, they thought it only worked when I touched it...even gave them a VN and they didn't get that real quick either.

It's a tricky balance between removing all other water to force them and the risk of dehydration.
I left them at the nipples all day then late in the day put the other waterer fr 5 minutes in so they wouldn't go to sleep without adequate liquid to digest their crop contents.

Marking the bottle so you can see the level helps(when it does go down!)......
......and you only need a tiny hole in the cap to avoid vacuum lock.

Back
Top Bottom