Switching to All Flock for my mixed flock?

Aug 5, 2021
Copperas Cove, TX
I read a post by someone else who also has a mixed flock, and it seems an "all flock" feed is the way to go. I have a rooster and a pullet = 27 wks. I also have 9 pullets = 9 weeks. I just ran out of chick feed and still have some layer crumble. Is it okay to feed them the layer until I can get to the store? They have all been eating chick and layer food for a couple weeks now, since I put my older girl with the younger girls. I leave a bowl of layer for Stella and chick feed for the younger ones, but they eat whatever they want. This was before I learned about all flock feed. They also have grit and oyster shells available. I just want to make sure the young ones will be oaky until Friday. If I need to make a special trip into town I will. Thank you for the feedback!

Yes.

Calcium Toxicity is a progressive condition - a few days will not cause lasting harm. Likewise, the low protein and defcient amino acid profile for your young pullets will not have lasting effect over a few days time, but if you wanted to suppliment, add two eggs (no shells) to their feed daily. Cooked or raw, your choice. Eggs are a complete protein source, decent for a host of vitamins, and not terribly high fat compared to some of the other alternatives. Also, you are likey to have them on hand.

If no eggs, a small amount of canned tuna /salmon/ fish can be added each day, mixed in with the flock's feed. Again, good protein and amino acid profile, low calcium (which is a good thing in this case), and the extra salt isn't a long term concern over a couple days.

Depending on how long it takes you go get to the store, I wouldn't give the chicks a layer formula, though a 9-week old might be better able to handle all that excess calcium than a younger chick.
I'd head to the store and get the all-flock (it has similar names), which is a roughly 18-20% protein feed with a bit over 1% calcium. You'll need to have oyster shells free choice for all the layers because laying hens need much more calcium than that. The layers will do better with the higher protein also.
In a pinch you could give the birds cooked eggs for a day or so to "dilute" all the extra calcium in the layer formula

Yes.

Calcium Toxicity is a progressive condition - a few days will not cause lasting harm. Likewise, the low protein and defcient amino acid profile for your young pullets will not have lasting effect over a few days time, but if you wanted to suppliment, add two eggs (no shells) to their feed daily. Cooked or raw, your choice. Eggs are a complete protein source, decent for a host of vitamins, and not terribly high fat compared to some of the other alternatives. Also, you are likey to have them on hand.

If no eggs, a small amount of canned tuna /salmon/ fish can be added each day, mixed in with the flock's feed. Again, good protein and amino acid profile, low calcium (which is a good thing in this case), and the extra salt isn't a long term concern over a couple days.
Okay thank you. You think all flock would be fine for the youngsters?

^^^ this is the better answer, if you happen to be driving by the store. But if your schedule won't allow it, four days is not life threatening, or even likely to be life affecting. Raising pullets, or worse, cockerels, on layer feed??? Different story, predictable effects over the course of their life. and the younger the bird, the greater the likely impact - because younger birds have greater nutritional needs, because their building bodies aren't already well established, and because "the dosage is the poison".

Okay thank you. You think all flock would be fine for the youngsters?
I routinely recommend, for the typical backyard owner, of the typical backyard flock, using typical backyard management practices the use of all flock/flock raiser type feed and free choice oyster shell (and grit) for all of their flock, regardless of age or gender, all of their lives.

So yes. As I've said many times. That's a recommend I'm very comfortable making. In fact, some company's All FLock/Flock raiser is actually nutritionally superior to their starter/grower - even for hatchlings.

Its a strange world, in the pet food aisle. (and elsewhere)

Depending on how long it takes you go get to the store, I wouldn't give the chicks a layer formula, though a 9-week old might be better able to handle all that excess calcium than a younger chick.
I'd head to the store and get the all-flock (it has similar names), which is a roughly 18-20% protein feed with a bit over 1% calcium. You'll need to have oyster shells free choice for all the layers because laying hens need much more calcium than that. The layers will do better with the higher protein also.
In a pinch you could give the birds cooked eggs for a day or so to "dilute" all the extra calcium in the layer formula

I routinely recommend, for the typical backyard owner, of the typical backyard flock, using typical backyard management practices the use of all flock/flock raiser type feed and free choice oyster shell (and grit) for all of their flock, regardless of age or gender, all of their lives.

So yes. As I've said many times. That's a recommend I'm very comfortable making. In fact, some company's All FLock/Flock raiser is actually nutritionally superior to their starter/grower - even for hatchlings.

Its a strange world, in the pet food aisle. (and elsewhere)
okay thank you so much. I just want them all to be happy and healthy. I will head to the store now. I don't want to make them eat the layer.

Back
Top Bottom