Switching to layer feed

Don't switch. Just put out a container or two of oyster shell and you're done.
This way they will consume what calcium they need and when they need it. The grower offers a better protein content than the vast majority of layer formulas.
Thank you, did not know this. I’m still learning.

All my hens are laying now. Going to make the switch from grower feed to layer feed. I need tips on the transition. Do I go right into giving layer food or do I introduce it slowly? Thanks!
What form are the two feeds: pellets, crumble, or mash? That might make a difference if you try to mix them. They could pick one out and leave the other behind.

What are the percent proteins for the two feeds, it should be on the label. It can vary for Layer and Grower. I've personally never worried about this as mine forage for some of their food and get kitchen and garden waste and excess. I don't have the ability to micromanage this but some people worry about this.

How are you providing calcium to them now? If Layer is all they eat then they should get enough calcium from that for their egg shells. Grower does not provide enough calcium for that. If they forage for food or you give them many treats then all they are eating is not Layer. If you mix the two feeds you should offer supplemental calcium on the side, they won't get enough from the mix.

When I switch from one feed to another I wait until the first bag runs out then start the other. I've never had any starve to death when I switch between crumbles and pellets. I've never had to treat any for shock when I switch between different protein levels. Maybe them foraging and getting garden and kitchen treats softens that blow. I always offer oyster shell on the side so they can get more calcium if they need it so I don't have to worry about that.

When I switch dog foods I try to mix it some if I can as I transition. One especially has a digestive system that can get upset when you suddenly change. I've never had that with my chickens. Maybe with them foraging and the different kitchen and garden treats they get (those are different every day) they don't get in that much of a rut.

No cockerels? Are they laying hybrids or heritage breed?

If you have only high production layers it’s easier. The layer feed is made for layers that lay about 300 eggs a year.

I always mix the chick feed with layer feed for a few weeks.

The all flock and chick feed here is very expensive especially the organic one.
That’s I give my heritage hens a mix of 1/2 - 2/3 layer feed and 1/4 scratch (organic).
+ Oyster shells and crushed egg shells on the side.
+ Free range a few hours
+ A little leftovers from the kitchen (most veggies).

What form are the two feeds: pellets, crumble, or mash? That might make a difference if you try to mix them. They could pick one out and leave the other behind.

What are the percent proteins for the two feeds, it should be on the label. It can vary for Layer and Grower. I've personally never worried about this as mine forage for some of their food and get kitchen and garden waste and excess. I don't have the ability to micromanage this but some people worry about this.

How are you providing calcium to them now? If Layer is all they eat then they should get enough calcium from that for their egg shells. Grower does not provide enough calcium for that. If they forage for food or you give them many treats then all they are eating is not Layer. If you mix the two feeds you should offer supplemental calcium on the side, they won't get enough from the mix.

When I switch from one feed to another I wait until the first bag runs out then start the other. I've never had any starve to death when I switch between crumbles and pellets. I've never had to treat any for shock when I switch between different protein levels. Maybe them foraging and getting garden and kitchen treats softens that blow. I always offer oyster shell on the side so they can get more calcium if they need it so I don't have to worry about that.

When I switch dog foods I try to mix it some if I can as I transition. One especially has a digestive system that can get upset when you suddenly change. I've never had that with my chickens. Maybe with them foraging and the different kitchen and garden treats they get (those are different every day) they don't get in that much of a rut.
They eat grower crumbles. Mine also free range and I give back their egg shells and provide ground oyster shells. Along with fruits and greens that we have left overs of. They don’t lack in that department.

Back
Top Bottom