Swollen abdomen, considering culling - looking for thoughts

Revenir_farm

Hatching
Jul 14, 2022
Hi all -

My favorite hen, approaching 1 year old, got a swollen abdomen about 6 weeks ago. I lost another hen about 4 months ago to similar symptoms (swollen abdomen, diarrhea) and the vet thought it was a random tumor/not infectious, so I buried her at home and didn’t submit for necropsy.

This current hen has finally started to show other poor signs - not connecting with food, lethargy, yellow liquid poop. I believe it is possible I am dealing with Mareks or lymphoid leukosis due to this being the 2nd hen with these symptoms (virus). Right now, I’m planning on taking her to poultry lab tomorrow to be put down and have a necropsy to identify what is going on.

My question is this - could there be any chance this is something curable I should assess for first? Before putting her down? My vet was no help with the last hen, who died naturally after the visit. I don’t want to extend any possible suffering that may be happening right now, but also don’t want to jump to euthanization if there is any chance of this being a treatable bacteria or similar.

All of my research and earned wisdom is telling me this is not treatable. Most instances of the swollen abdomen mean tumors or Ascites and I should probably jump to necropsy for testing and confirmation of what is going on (especially with virus concern). My only hesitation is that she isn’t as “sickly” seeming as I have seen. She stands in 1 place but doesn’t close her eyes, her coordination seems normal. She isn’t eating on her own (big problematic sign) but that has just started yesterday after weeks with this tumor/swollen belly.

What would you do? Accept the fate and get her to the lab for confirmation (what I’m leaning towards) or get fecal test done to see if there is anything else going on first?

FWIW - the one poultry vet I have found is 45 minutes away and the lab is about an hour away. If the vet was easily accessible, I would just do a fecal exam no matter what but unfortunately isn’t the case.

Diet - 16% layer pellets and access to grass/bugs with nearly daily ranging.

Breeds - she is a cuckoo maran. The one I lost a few months ago was Rhode Island Red.

Hens with swollen abdomens generally don't recover. It could be ascites or it could be infectious material. Having said that, depending on what's going on, some of them can live for a while. If you think it may be viral, then getting a necropsy is a valid thing to do. And the results can provide useful information, and sometimes peace of mind. Also, if you think she's suffering, then ending suffering is a kindness. Honestly, only you can make that decision and decide when it's the right time. It's often impossible to know for sure what's going on until necropsy, there are numerous possibilities and symptoms can be very similar. They are very good at hiding illness, so if they act sick then they are usually pretty sick.

Thank you for
Hens with swollen abdomens generally don't recover. It could be ascites or it could be infectious material. Having said that, depending on what's going on, some of them can live for a while. If you think it may be viral, then getting a necropsy is a valid thing to do. And the results can provide useful information, and sometimes peace of mind. Also, if you think she's suffering, then ending suffering is a kindness. Honestly, only you can make that decision and decide when it's the right time. It's often impossible to know for sure what's going on until necropsy, there are numerous possibilities and symptoms can be very similar. They are very good at hiding illness, so if they act sick then they are usually pretty sick.
this. These are all the things I’ve been thinking but it’s helpful to hear it from someone else when making a decision like this. I took her in this morning for euthanization and necropsy and looking forward to some answers of what’s going on.

I'm very sorry for your loss. It is never an easy decision. :hugs
When I necropsy a bird, I'm very grateful for the information they provide that may help one of the flock in the future. Any knowledge they provide is like their last gift to me. But it's always hard.
I hope you get answers and that they are helpful.

Back
Top Bottom