Swollen Abdomen???

Hi! Same exact thing has just started with my hen and I am so worried. A few nights ago we went to close up the coop and noticed she was laying on the ground while everyone else was perched. She is no longer able to jump up or down so I manually do it every night/morning. It seems she has a swollen abdomen and a complete loss of feathers by her vent and the area around. She is also waking very straight up, exactly like the way you described your hen (Including the pictures). I checked her for a stuck egg and did not feel anything. She is eating and drinking, just a swollen tummy and can't jump or walk normal. Very worried:( don't want her to suffer but I don't know how to extract fluid...also don't want to spend a fortune at the vet. Please help!
1f622.png
1f622.png
I was worried it could be the egg yolk peritonitis ...

Hi! Same exact thing has just started with my hen and I am so worried. A few nights ago we went to close up the coop and noticed she was laying on the ground while everyone else was perched. She is no longer able to jump up or down so I manually do it every night/morning. It seems she has a swollen abdomen and a complete loss of feathers by her vent and the area around. She is also waking very straight up, exactly like the way you described your hen (Including the pictures). I checked her for a stuck egg and did not feel anything. She is eating and drinking, just a swollen tummy and can't jump or walk normal. Very worried:( don't want her to suffer but I don't know how to extract fluid...also don't want to spend a fortune at the vet. Please help!
1f622.png
1f622.png
I was worried it could be the egg yolk peritonitis ...

Welcome to BYC.
welcome-byc.gif

I'm sorry you are having trouble with your hen.
If you will start your own thread with pictures in the Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures forum that would be great, we will be happy to help.

Great! I am taking her to a vet tonight hoping they can figure something out. If not I will continue posting for more advice. Thank you!

Hi! Vet said it was most likely that egg yolk peritonitis. My chicken weighed 5 lbs...they drained 3 cups worth of fluid from her abdomen and then she only weighed 4 lbs!!! He said her prognosis is fair, and he thought he could feel a few soft eggs inside (no way of knowing for sure without an ultra sound). So she is on anti inflammatory medication for a while to hopefully prevent more fluid build up. She should be fine for a couple of months at least! He said this could come back, and her abdomen could fill again. It's important to keep her on her laying feed and oyster shells so that if an egg does form, it will form a shell and actually come out. Once the vet brought her back, she was absolutely 100% better!!! Started grooming herself right away, bright eyes, and was so hungry! (She lost a lot of weight because her stomach had no room to expand). Hope that helps diagnosis this other chicken! The draining of the fluid is crucial.

*Another Update on Cricket*

Not good.... Her comb is almost completely white, with a touch of pink. Also her...droppings... are watery and white. She also isn't eating much, and is losing her appetite for amaranth.

I'm giving her Nutri-Drench to give her a boost, and making sure she eats at lest some of her regular feed. And also water.

Any advice?

Hi! Vet said it was most likely that egg yolk peritonitis. My chicken weighed 5 lbs...they drained 3 cups worth of fluid from her abdomen and then she only weighed 4 lbs!!! He said her prognosis is fair, and he thought he could feel a few soft eggs inside (no way of knowing for sure without an ultra sound). So she is on anti inflammatory medication for a while to hopefully prevent more fluid build up. She should be fine for a couple of months at least! He said this could come back, and her abdomen could fill again. It's important to keep her on her laying feed and oyster shells so that if an egg does form, it will form a shell and actually come out. Once the vet brought her back, she was absolutely 100% better!!! Started grooming herself right away, bright eyes, and was so hungry! (She lost a lot of weight because her stomach had no room to expand). Hope that helps diagnosis this other chicken! The draining of the fluid is crucial.

How's your gal, chickychick211?

Back
Top Bottom