swollen and can barely open her eye

Chickenlover0810

Songster
Sep 5, 2019
Michigan
I have a unknown breed hen who has never laid and seems to have some sort of psychological issue. a couple weeks ago I noticed that her pupils where two different sizes. then there became some swelling around her eyes, at first I thought that she was getting picked on so we separated and it just went downhill from there on. one eye is swollen shut and the other has a little bit of swelling, when we open the one eye that was not totally shut it looked bloodshot. we are not in a great position to cull right now cause I just can't, I avoid it at all costs. my dad who does it most of the time is at the hospital with his brother and is emotional. my sister could do it but I'm not confident with her doing it alone.
could it be cancer?
fowl pox?
answers asap would be nice, thanks in advance

7143518F-75B4-42A2-9E9A-04B7B01795F2.jpeg
D42051D4-11F5-4256-9E67-0433EA7A908C.jpeg
8919B065-A017-44BD-941F-AC5102369693.jpeg

I am not that experienced in this but i have treated MG which is similar and you give tetracycline and doxycycline (i believe that is how they are spelled) There is also sulfadimethoxine or sulmet with tylan 50 or baytril. They will always have this respiratory problem but there is ways like this to calm it down. You could put some saline in her eyes if you can. You can also look up corzya in the search on here and you will get some good things to help you...Good luck!!

I also found this:

Attachments

• 88E31C0F-A4A8-45DF-9202-F7C0D688C20E.png
    88E31C0F-A4A8-45DF-9202-F7C0D688C20E.png
    901.6 KB · Views: 9
I have a unknown breed hen who has never laid and seems to have some sort of psychological issue. a couple weeks ago I noticed that her pupils where two different sizes. then there became some swelling around her eyes, at first I thought that she was getting picked on so we separated and it just went downhill from there on. one eye is swollen shut and the other has a little bit of swelling, when we open the one eye that was not totally shut it looked bloodshot. we are not in a great position to cull right now cause I just can't, I avoid it at all costs. my dad who does it most of the time is at the hospital with his brother and is emotional. my sister could do it but I'm not confident with her doing it alone.
could it be cancer?
fowl pox?
answers asap would be nice, thanks in advance
thinking it is infectious coryza, can't find any treatment methods online though
@Kiki
@Eggcessive
you guys have been helpful to me in the past
It would be good to eventually see the eyes when the swelling goes down to try and figure out if there is something like ocular Mareks or a blind eye. Her eyes being swollen could be signs of a respiratory disease such as MG or coryza. What is the black on her comb? Is that from being pecked or possibly frostbite? How old is she, and does she lay eggs. Can she walk normally? Is there pus inside the eye? If so, that needs to come out by either usuping QTips or squeezing a little. Terramycin eye ointment from a feed store can be put into each eye 2-3 times a day after cleaning any drainage or pus.

Is she sneezing, having nasal drainage, gasping, or having crackles or wheezes when breathing? You might conside an antibiotic that treats bacterial respiratory disease. Those include tylosin, doxycycline, oxytetracycline and a couple of others. Jedds.com sells some online. If you think she was pecked in the eye by others, the antibiotic may need to be different.

Here is some reading about respiratory diseases:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/_docs/programs/poultry/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

https://poultry.extension.org/artic...oultry-diseases/infectious-coryza-in-poultry/

she is like 1 and a half years old, she has never laid an egg, like never. she walks almost like she is dizzy, she sometimes walks in circles or looses her balance. and she was born with a partially black comb. she has a bubly eye, what I think its nasal discharge. that is why I thought it was coryza.

Back
Top Bottom