Swollen area around umbilical cord, seeking help and clarifications!!

JarEmptied

Hatching
Jun 22, 2023
Hey, this is my first ever duckling and it seems that it’s umbilical cord or something around its abdomen is swollen. I couldn’t find too much info on how to deal with this so I came here seeking for help. Note that the eggshell and membrane inside it is still attached to the outer end of the umbilical, another concern I have.

IMG_2808.jpeg

Welcome to BYC! I don't know too much about hatching, hopefully this will bump the thread up so some who does can see it.

What I can say is doing something with the umbilical cord can cause hemorrhaging, so definitely wait for advice before you act.

I'd put it in a cup in your incubator for a few hours and see if the swollen part goes away. Looks like it could be yolk sack, and the duckling just needs to absorb it. Put the egg shell in with the chick above/attached to it, and the cup will keep the duckling from climbing about or injuring itself while it absorbs the yolk sack.

I'm familiar with chickens, not ducks, per se, but I think this is one of the areas where care recommendations overlap. Wanted to be sure you got an answer.

You can check out the Assisted Hatching article in the Articles section for more info if desired, I think it discusses this situation?

Back
Top Bottom