Swollen belly 4 week old chick

Airean

Chirping
Aug 9, 2022
I have a 4 week old chicken that has a swollen belly, left side under the wing is quite large. I just noticed and will quarantine so I can what poops look like.
I have recently been dealing with coccidiosis. 2 of her clutch mates died already. Currently on corid water (day 5) and was giving direct dosage up until yesterday.

Water belly??

Any guidance is always appreciated.

20221022_150901.jpg

Is there any feeling of air under the skin or does it feel more solid or like fluid? It sounds almost like an injury from flying or running into something. A leaking air sac (subcutaneous emphysema) can occur with blunt trauma. Is she eating and drinking? Can she walk and get around?

It does feel more like air than liquid that is under the skin. Walking, eating, and drinking fine.

Oh goodness! I hope it doesn't come to that. That terrifies me thinking about doing that. Chickens need a warning label "must have courage and balls of steel before owning"

When should I start being more concerned before I try to release the air? Anything to watch out for? Not eating, not drinking, lethargy?

Back
Top Bottom