Squeak61

Songster
5 Years
May 22, 2017
Connecticut
My chicken has an extremely swollen face and a bubbly eye, but only on one side of her face. She’s not sneezing, acting oddly, or breathing weirdly, but she is frequently shaking her head. Please help, I don’t know what I can do for her. I called my vet, but she has not gotten back to me yet. I’m assuming it’s respiratory, but I’m really not sure.

42F51D4E-A825-4B6D-8249-8E6B4ABA0AAE.jpeg

It looks like she might have coryza, which is like an eye infection. You would have to give her antibiotics to get rid of it.

Usually, bubbles or foam in a swollen eye can be a sinus infection and pinkeye, due to mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) That is a chronic respiratory disease that may respond to certain antibiotics, such Tylosin, doxycycline, oxytetracycline, denagard, or Baytril. In the meantime, you can clean the eye with a warm wet cloth, and apply Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. Make sure that she drinks well, and you can also put some water in her feed. Here is a place that has Tylosin to use in the water, but it will take a few days to get to you:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

Back
Top Bottom