Swollen chicken web

MaChicker2594

Hatching
Jul 13, 2023
Hello- new to BYC

I have a chicken who has a very swollen web. There is no scab or swelling at the bottom of the foot that would suggest bumblefoot. This is the second time it happen to her. The first time it was very minimal and went away on its own. The purple spot is new as of today. No limping yet.

Attachments

• IMG_2393.jpeg
    IMG_2393.jpeg
    669.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2394.jpeg
    IMG_2394.jpeg
    682.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2395.jpeg
    IMG_2395.jpeg
    487.4 KB · Views: 10
You can try the soaks, but as swollen as that is it will probably need to be lanced and cleaned out. To do that, disinfect everything, swab the area betadine, either sterilize a very sharp blade, or buy a disposable scalpel (tractor supply carries some), make a small slit in the middle of the swelling and squeeze out the pus. The pus will be firm and creamy or pale yellow. Get all of it out, sometimes tweezers help if it doesn't come out as a solid mass, sometimes it's bits. Flush it out well with sterile saline or a chlorhexidine solution (hibiclens, you can get anywhere, walmart, pharmacy), then fill the hole with plain triple antibiotic ointment and cover the cut with a bit of gauze or telfa pad, and wrap with cowrap or vetwrap to keep it clean and dry. I check every day and put on fresh bandaging until I know it's healing well, then you can do every 2-3 days til it's completely healed. The wrap should be just tight enough to keep it in place, not too tight so circulation is cut off. Wrapping around the foot and ankle helps keep it from getting pulled off.

Back
Top Bottom