Swollen comb

Jul 19, 2023
Hi,
We have five chickens about 3 years old. One of the australorp's has a very swollen comb and has had it for weeks. Her health is otherwise well - she is eating, energetic, I'm not sure if she's laying but it's mid winter here so that is normal anyway. The other hens combs are normal. In the last week her comb has swollen even more and she has wounds on it, possibly from pecking? I can't work out what it is from my research or what to do about it. Has anyone got experience with swollen hen combs?
Thank you.

Attachments

• PXL_20230713_020159190.jpg
    PXL_20230713_020159190.jpg
    771.7 KB · Views: 182
  • PXL_20230713_020206559.jpg
    PXL_20230713_020206559.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 39
Poor thing!

How does her comb feel, is it hard or rather soft and spongy to the touch? Does it hurt her if you touch it?
Does it ooze sometimes? And if so, how does it look in colour, does it have a foul or rather sweet smell?

This could be some kind of botfly or other parasite residing in her comb causing inflammation/infection or maybe a tumour/cancer.

Maybe @Eggcessive and @Wyorp Rock have some ideas.

Thank you, I hadn't thought about a parasite living in her comb 😞. I had considered fowl cholera but she has no other symptoms that I can see and the other chickens haven't caught it.
She is our most skittish chicken at the best of times so she is difficult to handle, but I did check if her comb was hot to touch (it's not) and it feels quite hard, not spongy. I have not seen any oozing from the wounds on her comb at all, but she seems to be getting more of them. I really hope she's not in pain 😞.

Back
Top Bottom