Swollen Duck eye- How To Clean To Prevent Infection

Melinda1314

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 16, 2014
I came home to find my female rouen duck has a swollen eye. at first i thought the eye was gone but its just very swollen. there is discharge from the eye so i believe she must have gotten scratched. Can i use polysporin eye drops? just don't want it to get infected.

I manged to clean it up a bit with a clean cloth and warm water and it doesnt seem to be an eye in there.....do i still treat it with eye wound drops? This has never happened before

I would rinse it out with saline solution and then use the polysporin drops, I think. I have not had to do this. The drops don't have painkiller in them, do they? That's toxic to waterfowl, I have read.

Also

Is there a drake who is getting rough with her? That will cause such problems and the solution is to separate them at least till he cools his jets.

Last edited:
i have when a hawk attacked a mallard here she lost her eye. but with the right treatment and no dirty water, literally prestine clean waster at all times. it healed well and skin grew over where the eye was and then we let her back out after a few weeks she stayed for a while, but this was a wild mallard that had flewin becuase we raise our own anyway she flew off with a male of ours , it was sad but i hope shes happy.

Thanks, bgg - nothing like the voice of experience. I share what I can and I try remember to convey whether I have done something myself or have just read about it, or am making my best guess.

ohh you were right too, amiga,i wasent saying anything to like overthrow what you said :)
you always give great advice for duck owners in distress :)
thumbsup.gif

They do not. I haven't seen him being rough with the ducks before, but i do have a real B-word of a hen that gets kinda peaky sometimes so definitely moving her for a bit...its inflamed do you know of anything that would bring the inflammation down??? she doesn't seem to be in pain. shes eating drinking trying to play in her water, seems perfectly normal besides her eye.

Thanks

i will have to get them tomorrow. its 11 PM here and i dont have any on hand i did some more digging and found out i could make green tea not to warm tho and clean the area around the eye with that so that will work till tomorrow. Thank you both for your feed back it was alot of help. Love this site for that.

Back
Top Bottom