Swollen eye with some bubbles

lbgreenfield

Songster
Jul 19, 2019
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Hi everyone. I have a 16-week old chick that has a swollen eye area, with very small bubbles in the corner of her eye (see attached photos). No foul odor, no labored breathing. It has been like this for 2 days. I’ve been having a lot of tick bites (100% certain of tick bites because I’ve pulled the ticks off of their eyes) on my chickens lately around their eye areas, so I didn’t isolate her until today (Day 3) because I thought it was another tick bite. She is eating, drinking, pooping normally, acting like a normal chicken. I’ve completely isolated her from the rest of my flock (she’s in the garage brooder pen now). I’ve put Terramycin ointment into her eye two times today and added Vet-RX to her comb and nostrils. All the Tractor Supply stores within a 50-mile radius are out of both Tylan 50 and 200 (as are most online stores I’ve checked). I instead bought LA-200, 18 gauge 3/4-inch needles, and 3 cc syringes but have not dosed her yet. My local store also has Durevet-100 but I didn’t buy that.

I know that there are many symptoms that present like this, from a common respiratory cold to coryza to MG, is there anything I can do? Is there an alternative to Tylan that I would be able to purchase for treatment? Are the needles I bought a good size? Just tying to decide a course of treatment and/or culling if need be (although I don’t want to do that if possible).

Attachments

• 7EE5C738-0209-4F1C-AAFD-DFFB6D37C8D4.jpeg
    7EE5C738-0209-4F1C-AAFD-DFFB6D37C8D4.jpeg
    525.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 7108D566-5FF5-4176-9709-C376B7E6FDFD.jpeg
    7108D566-5FF5-4176-9709-C376B7E6FDFD.jpeg
    440.3 KB · Views: 6
Bubbles in an eye and the sunken appearance of the eye, can be signs of mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG. Tylan is no longer being made, but you can get the tylosin powder online from Jedds.com to put in the water. The LA 200 is a long acting oxytetracycline which may treat MG that is given once. Dosage is hard to find for chickens online, but I found one link that said giving 10 mg per pound would be good. I would use a 22 gauge or 25 gauge needle to give it in the breast muscle or the skin in the back of the neck 1/4 inch deep. This is a cattle medicine, so not a lot of info about how or how much to give online.

Bubbles in an eye and the sunken appearance of the eye, can be signs of mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG. Tylan is no longer being made, but you can get the tylosin powder online from Jedds.com to put in the water. The LA 200 is a long acting oxytetracycline which may treat MG that is given once. Dosage is hard to find for chickens online, but I found one link that said giving 10 mg per pound would be good. I would use a 22 gauge or 25 gauge needle to give it in the breast muscle or the skin in the back of the neck 1/4 inch deep. This is a cattle medicine, so not a lot of info about how or how much to give online.
Thank you! I’ll return the 18-gauge needles and get 22 or 25 gauge instead. I’ll see if I can order the tylosin powder as well. How long do I need to isolate her for?

It is probably not necessary to islolate since the others probably have been exposed when she was. Have you added any new birds recently? MG is spread by other birds who are carriers, and wild birds. It can lie dormant until a chicken is stressed and then make them symptomatic. You can always try to get tested. Here is some reading:
https://thepoultrysite.com/disease-...tion-m-g-chronic-respiratory-disease-chickens

It is probably not necessary to islolate since the others probably have been exposed when she was. Have you added any new birds recently? MG is spread by other birds who are carriers, and wild birds. It can lie dormant until a chicken is stressed and then make them symptomatic. You can always try to get tested. Here is some reading:
https://thepoultrysite.com/disease-...tion-m-g-chronic-respiratory-disease-chickens
I added the 16-week old chicks to my existing flock in the middle of May. They’ve been going to a separate, temporary coop at night. Not sure if stress was the cause because they’ve been together in the run for over a month now. I just started putting them all together in the main coop, after dark so the older birds don’t see them.

Back
Top Bottom