Swollen Eye

Sherri_Texas

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Help! My chicken’s eye has been swollen for a week now. I can tell it’s really bothering her as she shakes her head all the time. What is it and how can I treat it? Thanks in advance.
60C45A24-E5D5-43F6-A005-697246F45DF8.jpeg
F95EC76D-D261-495E-9712-EA68B385F1F2.jpeg

So sorry you are going through this. I don’t want to tell you what to do since I’m inexperienced in this, but there are some infections I believe like MG that could cause this. Hopefully more experienced people chime in soon and my post bumps this up.

Can you try to get Tylan 50 injectable from a feed store to give her orally? You can also get the generic Tylosin powder for treating the water, online from Jedds.com.
The swollen eye with bubbles looks like mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) a chronic respiratory disease. Is there a bad odor from the face? The pus should be cleaned from the eye, and rinse the eye with saline, then apply either Terramycin eye ointment (from the feed store,) or plain Neosporin ointment in the eye twice a day. The article below has good information:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Can you try to get Tylan 50 injectable from a feed store to give her orally? You can also get the generic Tylosin powder for treating the water, online from Jedds.com.
The swollen eye with bubbles looks like mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) a chronic respiratory disease. Is there a bad odor from the face? The pus should be cleaned from the eye, and rinse the eye with saline, then apply either Terramycin eye ointment (from the feed store,) or plain Neosporin ointment in the eye twice a day. The article below has good information:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/2022-04/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

There's no bad odor or puss. Just very swollen and appears to have bubbles forming in the tears. Now she is shaking her head a lot. Maybe because of discomfort. I just called my local feed store and they have both medications. I'm heading there now to pick it up. Thank you so, so much!! Mississippi (the chicken) thanks you as well. :)

Back
Top Bottom