Swollen eyelid.

Hollysaurus

Chirping
Jul 23, 2022
Idaho
My Coop
My Coop
Hello!

I'm a little worried about our Light Brahma. Weather here has been very hot lately and today she's seemed very off. She was laying down in her coop, the shaded area today for longer than she usually does and her left eye now seems swollen. We had been thinking she could of been pecked in the eye but she has also been gasping; but not all the time. It's very random.

I've been told Tylan is great just incase this is a respiratory infection.

We have 4 chickens and we haven't had any issues up until now; I'm not quite sure what Tylan is but I know you can give it oral or inject and I'd rather use the oral syringe. I was hoping someone could suggest an amazon link so I could purchase it off there or check the brand and see if our tractor supply has it.

I'm so sorry for the questions! I just would like to help her as soon as possible. ^^ Thank you in advance.

Can you post photos of her eye and video of her actions?

She's randomly gasping - is she panting or gasping? Hot weather, chickens often pant to cool down.

For swollen eyes, eye infection or injury, the first step would be to treat the eye. Flush with saline, remove any debris, bubbles or pus, then apply an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye. You can order Terramycin off amazon or find it at TSC.

Tylan/Tylosin is used to treat respiratory disease like Mycoplasma. Symptoms include, mucous from the nostrils, coughing, sneezing, wheezing, swollen facial tissue, swelling around the eyes with bubbles. If you feel she needs an antibiotic, you can order Tylosin powder that goes in her drinking water, you can order it HERE or HERE.

Antibiotics can help relieve symptoms, but if the eye is swollen, it still needs to be tended to a couple of times a day in addition to antibiotic treatment. If you are dealing with respiratory disease like MG, there is no cure and birds are carriers for life.
Here's some reading about diseases: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/PS044

She's randomly gasping - is she panting or gasping? Hot weather, chickens often pant to cool down.

For swollen eyes, eye infection or injury, the first step would be to treat the eye. Flush with saline, remove any debris, bubbles or pus, then apply an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye. You can order Terramycin off amazon or find it at TSC.

Tylan/Tylosin is used to treat respiratory disease like Mycoplasma. Symptoms include, mucous from the nostrils, coughing, sneezing, wheezing, swollen facial tissue, swelling around the eyes with bubbles. If you feel she needs an antibiotic, you can order Tylosin powder that goes in her drinking water, you can order it HERE or HERE.

Antibiotics can help relieve symptoms, but if the eye is swollen, it still needs to be tended to a couple of times a day in addition to antibiotic treatment. If you are dealing with respiratory disease like MG, there is no cure and birds are carriers for life.
I should of thought to take a picture of the eye.

I think my husband got Vetrx in her eye accidentally. I was freaking out thinking she's getting a respiratory issue. She has always had a gasping thing her whole life. She's not panting.

Since she was very young she's gasped now and again. I had been told Brahma's usually do get this though because they're such large birds and she's nearly twice the size of our other 3 chickens. haha.

I'll wash it out and grab some Terramycin today and then see how things go!

Assuming this is the Terramycin?
1690896706716.png

Yes, that's Terramycin eye ointment.
Thank you! I bought it earlier today and treating her. She's in a very large dog cage in the house. We got her electrolytes in her water too to boost up her immune system. Fingers crossed it goes away but we'll be treating her for the next few days.

Turns out it was a cut on her eye lid. Looks like our rhode island red (who is very greedy when it comes to food) pecked her. :(

Back
Top Bottom