Old chicken gasping - help!

Make sure the coop ventilation stays good, no dust, ammonia odor, or dampness. Offer her a little dampened moist chicken feed, in case the dust in the feed is causing irritation. Probiotics or a small spoonful of plain yogurt a couple of days a week won’t hurt. Check to see if you can get any of the antibiotics listed above, to have in case she has more outbreaks. Tiamulin is pig antibiotic and the others might be available for fish or pigeons. Many countries are very strict about antibiotics now.
Thanks a lot. I pay a lot of attention to the coop. I regret I did not quarantene the new chickens this summer. I was a newbie. It is incredible the bond I created with this old chicken I found at my property. I hope she can make it until tomorrow as she is doing very bad now. Gaping and sneezing heavily! 🙏

Have you given more levamisole lately? I’m not very good with dosage for that, but I think it has to be used for several days to be effective for gapeworms. Other worms, such as capillary worms could also be a problem.

Sorry for your loss. I know you get attached. :hugs But true. Live goes on.

I had my losses too and adding new ones for maintenance is the way to go for me too.
Reading your story makes me glad I was cautious to bring new blood to my flock. With hatchery eggs there’s hardly any risk in bringing in diseases from other chickens.
I let a broody hen breed hatchery eggs if I have room for a few chickens again.
Unfortunately I can’t have a rooster in spring, when days are lengthening and my neighbours get annoyed.

Only once I was given a lonely 4 year old hen. I had her apart for a week (see don’t touch) and she looked very healthy. Real quarantine would have been difficult. Integration wasn’t easy.
Broodies with chicks every 2 years or so, isnt very easy either but is really fun. 🤩

Btw there is a thread called Peeps in Europe where you can join for fun or if you have any questions that are related to Europe. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peeps-in-europe.1288348/page-369

Oh no, I am very sorry that she died. If you would like to look for gapeworms, they can be seen inside the trachea or airway. They are red and Y-shaped. A home necropsy to look at her organs might give your more info. If you decide to do a necropsy, take pictures to post here. We can take a look and offer any opinions.

Oh no, I am very sorry that she died. If you would like to look for gapeworms, they can be seen inside the trachea or airway. They are red and Y-shaped. A home necropsy to look at her organs might give your more info. If you decide to do a necropsy, take pictures to post here. We can take a look and offer any opinions.
Thanks but too much for me at this point. She is now resting with the other chickens I had. Thank you all for your insights!

Back
Top Bottom