Swollen eyes on bantams, already lost 4

This may be going out on a limb, but if there are house finches in your area, they may have spread a certain type of conjunctivitis to your birds that caused the crusty eyes. Housefinches carry a strain of conjunctivitis. I caught a bird in my yard this fall that had it.

mine had the same problems,sneezing,clear sischarge from nasal and eyes. and one eye swellen shut.I treated them with Terramycin ointment and aureomycin powder in their water and I kept the eye clean by cotton ball soaked in warm water. .they all got ok after 3 days. I realy don't know what they had wether it was just the raspiratory infection or Coryza.How can you tell the diffrence beetween the Coryza and just chronic respiratory disease anyway?mine did not have a bad smell which is normaly sign of Coryza.this important for me because I have some baby chicks coming in march.right now i only have 6 birds.should I cull?

khoros..if they start to show symptoms again..use the Tylan 50..
another good med is Gallimycin..(erythromycin)..also called Ery-mycin.

LS-50 and LA-200 are good, too..
but I generally prefer the Tylan..injectable.

when respiratory illness re-occurs..you need to use bigger guns..

all these meds are available at most farm/feed stores in the livestock section..or online at livestock suppliers,
and
http://firststatevetsupply.com/
and
http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/
and
jefferslivestock.com

Last edited:
The best route would be to give antibodics...that Vet Rx is not expesive at all and it helps witht he symptoms and helps the breathe and feel a lil better.....Also the terrimycin Eye oinment will help with whatever's goin on in the eye. GOOD Luck hope this helps!

If you don't think that your chickens have Coryza because they don't have the smelly discharge. Then what could they have? You stated that you've already lost 4 birds to the illness. Maybe you should have your birds tested then you would know for sure what your dealing with. I just know that it was horrible when my flock got sick because of my bad judgement. I now know better.

Back
Top Bottom