Swollen face

So glad to hear (and see) that she is doing better! I hope that continues for you. I'm glad also that it does not seem so serious as it looks or seems.

Eggcessive, thanks for your post... I learned something from it! THANK YOU! I have a question though- Benedryl is for allergic reactions in the body. Why did this work instead of an antibiotic? Just curious. I was thinking that the reaction of swelling would be due to some sort of infectious element like bacteria from the tick.

Oh, AND I do want to correct my earlier post about infectious coryza- I just read and found out that it can swell up the waddles. All the photos of it I've seen the waddles are not swollen, but apparently it can. Just wanted to clear that up.

Benadryl is food for allergic reactions that can result from insect and spider bites. Ticks can also spread diseases, but with the sudden widespread swelling, Benadryl was a good choice to try.

This looked like coryza when the face was swelled. If you ever find multiple chickens displaying lethargy and swollen faces like this REMOVE THEM ASAP.

Benadryl is food for allergic reactions that can result from insect and spider bites. Ticks can also spread diseases, but with the sudden widespread swelling, Benadryl was a good choice to try.
Oh yes, I agree. I guess I am just wondering if an antibiotic would be needed also ? Or would the body take care of it?

Back
Top Bottom