Swollen middle toe on Runner Duck foot

lynepie

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2015
My Runner duck started limping today. I caught her and looked at her foot, it looks like there may be something in the toe
maybe. I soaked it in Epson salt and put some triple antibiotic on it. She is in a crate right now, I didn't know how to wrap a duck foot. It there anything else I should do? How many times a day should I soak the foot and for how long? Should I try to dig in the foot to see if it is a thorn or do you think it will come out on its own? The top of her foot looks ok. Thank you for any help.

My Runner duck started limping today. I caught her and looked at her foot, it looks like there may be something in the toe
maybe. I soaked it in Epson salt and put some triple antibiotic on it. She is in a crate right now, I didn't know how to wrap a duck foot. It there anything else I should do? How many times a day should I soak the foot and for how long? Should I try to dig in the foot to see if it is a thorn or do you think it will come out on its own? The top of her foot looks ok. Thank you for any help.
Is that a small hole can you rub your finger over and feel anything. Soak in Epsom salt a couple times a day warm water ES [don't let her drink the water ES is also a laxative] then use clear iodine over the area or drawing slave if there is a splinter it should start working it's way up to the surface. But may take several days so keep her on soft bedding in the mean time. I wouldn't dig in it at all give this time to work.

Last edited:
My first thought is it's a splinter. Looks like the one Romy had. I would not wrap the foot. Just keep her quiet, try some Epsom salt soak (don't let her ingest it, it's a laxative.). Maybe put some triple antibiotic without painkiller on the top and bottom of the foot. Then get help if you need it to hold her, and use a nice clean pair of tweezers and try to get it out. With Romy I just grabbed the black dot and pulled straight out.

Here is the splinter.

Back
Top Bottom