Swollen turkey foot

Nckyturkma

Chirping
Apr 10, 2023
Prunedale, CA
Hello everyone, my bbb turkey is almost 9 weeks old. It has been very healthy and happy. We are about to transition the turkey and chicks outside with our other chickens but at the moment they are still in a very large tent/play run inside. We use puppy pads to line the bottom so we can clean it out 3 or more times a day to keep is sanitary. I also soak/wash it (and the chicks) feet in warm water and Epsom salts each day to keep them clean and i let them out to run around and observe them.

I was out of town over the weekend and my bf was taking care of them. When I returned I was cleaning the brooder and going to socialize with them. I picked up the turkey and rinsed off it's feet and took it out of the epsom salt soak and it started picking up it's left foot looking at the bottom and kinda picking at it with its beak like something was bothering it. When I put it down it started limping around as if it was experiencing pain in that foot. It's legs/feet are both oriented the correct way so i do not think it is perosis. I had not been home to observe them in several days but my bf says he did not notice it doing this while I was away...but the turkey walks kinda clumsily so maybe he did not notice.

The foot (sort of the webbing between toes and just above- directly above the pad but on the top of the foot) was slightly swollen, just a little bigger than the other foot...i dont think it feels warmer than the other foot...the top of the foot looks a bit off color- maybe bruised? I checked on it in the morning and again soaked it's feet and applied Vetericyn on the top and bottom. I Inspected the bottom of it's foot and I did not see any blister or discoloration or shiny pink areas or any cuts or anything weird. I thought maybe it's toenails were too long- i tried to trim them but the first one i cut bled and it freaked me out so i stopped.

It seemed better yesterday evening and was walking around seemingly normal, but when I got up this morning to soak it's feet it once again acted like something was bothering it's foot and was back to limping. I thought maybe the epsom salts were getting in a small cut or something and stinging? The weird thing is when it walks it often steps with that foot first and then hobbles. It can still walk decently, it just limps a bit. My bf said it did jump a few feet earlier in the day that I first observed it limping...maybe it just bruised it's foot thus the swelling? Hoping it just gets back to normal.

Do you think it could be bumblefoot or has anyone else experienced a foot injury in a turkey that was not bumblefoot nor gout/arthritis? I am just worried about it having comprised ability to get exercise, especially since it is a bb. I also don't want to overlook any signs of infection. It is still eating and drinking and doesn't seem sick, but it has been laying down more since I think it hurts it to walk and seems a bit less chipper. Any advice would be much appreciated to know what to look out for. Thank you.

Here is two pictures...excuse the poop on the bad foot (i was hesitant to give it another epsom salt bath since it seemed to bother her earlier)...in the front-on photo the swollen foot is shown on right.
20230511_190006.jpg

Attachments

• 20230511_190041.jpg
    20230511_190041.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Hello everyone, my bbb turkey is almost 9 weeks old. It has been very healthy and happy. We are about to transition the turkey and chicks outside with our other chickens but at the moment they are still in a very large tent/play run inside. We use puppy pads to line the bottom so we can clean it out 3 or more times a day to keep is sanitary. I also soak/wash it (and the chicks) feet in warm water and Epsom salts each day to keep them clean and i let them out to run around and observe them. I was out of town over the weekend and my bf was taking care of them. When I returned I was cleaning the brooder and going to socialize with them. I picked up the turkey and rinsed off it's feet and took it out of the epsom salt soak and it started picking up it's left foot looking at the bottom and kinda picking at it with its beak like something was bothering it. It picked off a dried feather and I figured that was it, but when I put it down it started limping around as if it was experiencing pain in that foot. It's legs/feet are both oriented the correct way so i do not think it is perosis. I had not been home to observe them in several days but my bf says he did not notice it doing this while I was away...but the turkey walks kinda clumsily so maybe he did not notice. I noticed the foot (sort of the webbing between toes and just above- directly above the pad but on the top of the foot) was slightly swollen, just a little bigger than the other foot...i dont think it felt warmer than the other foot. I checked on it in the morning and again soaked it's feet and applied Vetericyn on the top and bottom. I Inspected the bottom of it's foot and I did not see any blister or discoloration or shiny pink areas or any cuts or anything weird. I thought maybe it's toenails were too long- i tried to trim them but the first one i cut bled and it freaked me out so i stopped. It seemed better yesterday evening and was walking around seemingly normal, but when I got up this morning to soak it's feet it once again acted like something was bothering it's foot and was back to limping. I thought maybe the epsom salts were getting in a small cut or something and stinging? The weird thing is when it walks it often steps with that foot first and then hobbles. It can still walk decently, it just limps a bit. My bf said it did jump a few feet earlier in the day that I first observed it limping...maybe it just bruised it's foot thus the swelling? Hoping it just gets back to normal. Has anyone else experienced a foot injury in a turkey that was not bumblefoot nor gout/arthritis? I am just worried about it having comprised ability to get exercise, especially since it is a bb. I also don't want to overlook any signs of infection. It is still eating and drinking and doesn't seem sick, but it has been laying down more since I think it hurts it to walk and seems a bit less chipper. Any advice would be much appreciated to know what to look out for. Thank you.
I’m so sorry. I hope he gets better. I’m not really a turkey expert, but I’ll tag some of my go to people for helping solve chicken or in your case turkey problems.

Hope you find answers.❤️
@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock

I’m not sure, but maybe the foot was sprained. But I would keep watching for a bumblefoot scab on the footpad, or a blister between the toes to develop.
Thank you for your advice! I greatly appreciate it. I started putting some arnica on it and I am keeping its feet very clean and monitoring them.

Update: I used arnica, Vet Rx and antibiotic spray on it every day and kept it clean and dry and the swelling went down and it is no longer limping! Yay!

Hello everyone, my bbb turkey is almost 9 weeks old. It has been very healthy and happy. We are about to transition the turkey and chicks outside with our other chickens but at the moment they are still in a very large tent/play run inside. We use puppy pads to line the bottom so we can clean it out 3 or more times a day to keep is sanitary. I also soak/wash it (and the chicks) feet in warm water and Epsom salts each day to keep them clean and i let them out to run around and observe them.

I was out of town over the weekend and my bf was taking care of them. When I returned I was cleaning the brooder and going to socialize with them. I picked up the turkey and rinsed off it's feet and took it out of the epsom salt soak and it started picking up it's left foot looking at the bottom and kinda picking at it with its beak like something was bothering it. When I put it down it started limping around as if it was experiencing pain in that foot. It's legs/feet are both oriented the correct way so i do not think it is perosis. I had not been home to observe them in several days but my bf says he did not notice it doing this while I was away...but the turkey walks kinda clumsily so maybe he did not notice.

The foot (sort of the webbing between toes and just above- directly above the pad but on the top of the foot) was slightly swollen, just a little bigger than the other foot...i dont think it feels warmer than the other foot...the top of the foot looks a bit off color- maybe bruised? I checked on it in the morning and again soaked it's feet and applied Vetericyn on the top and bottom. I Inspected the bottom of it's foot and I did not see any blister or discoloration or shiny pink areas or any cuts or anything weird. I thought maybe it's toenails were too long- i tried to trim them but the first one i cut bled and it freaked me out so i stopped.

It seemed better yesterday evening and was walking around seemingly normal, but when I got up this morning to soak it's feet it once again acted like something was bothering it's foot and was back to limping. I thought maybe the epsom salts were getting in a small cut or something and stinging? The weird thing is when it walks it often steps with that foot first and then hobbles. It can still walk decently, it just limps a bit. My bf said it did jump a few feet earlier in the day that I first observed it limping...maybe it just bruised it's foot thus the swelling? Hoping it just gets back to normal.

Do you think it could be bumblefoot or has anyone else experienced a foot injury in a turkey that was not bumblefoot nor gout/arthritis? I am just worried about it having comprised ability to get exercise, especially since it is a bb. I also don't want to overlook any signs of infection. It is still eating and drinking and doesn't seem sick, but it has been laying down more since I think it hurts it to walk and seems a bit less chipper. Any advice would be much appreciated to know what to look out for. Thank you.

Here is two pictures...excuse the poop on the bad foot (i was hesitant to give it another epsom salt bath since it seemed to bother her earlier)...in the front-on photo the swollen foot is shown on right.View attachment 3502202
I have a chicken who has this same issues. Although the turkey isn't SUPER old or anything, maybe he/she just has a bit of arthritis? That's the problem with my chicken who has a swollen foot and she's only about half a year old. Maybe try something for bumblefoot (staff infection cause by a small cut on the foot that got dirt and debris in it)? Sorry, I'm not completely sure. Hope he/she gets better!

Back
Top Bottom