symptoms of marek?

Lisa202

Songster
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
Long Island NY
What are the symptoms of Marek? How do they get it? I did look under the search and was directed to Merck Vet page, but there's nothing there for Marek??
My bantams are coming soon and won't be vaccinated against it so I want to be prepared just in case. I will be feeding medicated starter (if that helps), but other than that I don't know how to protect them.

The birds will be laying on side, or moving erradically appearing partially paralized. Huge doses of Vit B complex may help in less advanced cases.

Medicated feed is only for coxidosis.

Unfortunately most of grown chickens are Marek's carriers even if they never succumbed to the deasease.

Marek's breaks immune system first before attacking nervous system, so in case of exposure not all birds will be affected, but exposed birds become carriers for life.

If your coming Bantams are your first birds I would not be worry about Mareks, there would be nothing in your enviroment to carry Marek's and infect your birds.

Last edited:
Agreed with above.
One quick note, if you catch it early, I've noticed they will be off feed, seem lethargic and maybe alone in the corner before the limping and sure signs start. Any signs like that could be a number of things, so its wise to remove to seperate cage and watch carefully..so you will know what to treat if needed. (goes for any illness, better to be safe)
Since you don't have older birds, you shouldn't have an issue with mareks. Good luck and have fun.
Don't worry about stuff that may happen, just enjoy and keep an eye on things.

The birds will be laying on side, or moving erradically appearing partially paralized. Huge doses of Vit B complex may help in less advanced cases.

Medicated feed is only for coxidosis.

Unfortunately most of grown chickens are Marek's carriers even if they never succumbed to the deasease.

Marek's breaks immune system first before attacking nervous system, so in case of exposure not all birds will be affected, but exposed birds become carriers for life.

If your coming Bantams are your first birds I would not be worry about Mareks, there would be nothing in your enviroment to carry Marek's and infect your birds.
I have lost 2 roosters in the past month. From 2 seperate coops. I didn't see the white bumps on his skin. He was just laying on his side with his eyes closed. He died a few hours later. Really hope its not Merek's disease!

My husband buried them while I was at work. So no.... He was w/3 hens they seem fine. The other rooster has 2 hens w/hens they are also good.

Back
Top Bottom