Symptoms of ???????

She didn't seem impressed by the water & lay feed mixed. So tonight I was going to try to mix in a raw egg with some feed to see if she'd eat it. I did start her on anit-biotics because I was concerned as to what could be going on that I didn't know about. I think that I'll give that a couple days more, give her a break from medication, then de-worm her again. I don't want to pump a whole bunch of chemicals in her at once. I was thrilled to see the white had more form, but I know she's not eating like she should, so there's not really color like there should be. Once I get her better, I have to decide what to do with her. I really don't want the boys to put her back in the state that she's in now, but for whatever reason they're obsessed with her & her alone.

She still has watery poop. Also still drinking a good amount of water. I stopped they've antibiotics yesterday. She's getting probiotics & vitamins/electrolytes now. I've been leary to deworm her because I've read that safeguard can damage feathers if giving during a molt ....... everyone else is getting rooster booster. But I will start deworming her Monday, because damaged feathers is better than worms. Luckily, since I just dewormed her a couple months ago, if she does have them it shouldn't be too bad .........

Last edited:
5th day of deworming with safeguard. She still has watery poop, & wants high protein foods, but I'm wondering if this could be because of her molt? Either way, her feathers are growing back from the roosters over treading. I'm tempted to put bobcat pee on her when it's time to try her back with the flock!

If you gave here 0.5ml Safeguard per 2.2 pounds for five days it's probably safe to say you've ruled out worms, althought maybe not damage they did to her intstines. It's also possible that she has a bacterial infection, a yeast infection or coccidiosis. I know you had her on antibiotics, but many bacteria are resistant to the stuff available at feed stores.

Can you post a picture of her poop?

-Kathy

Last edited:
5th day of deworming with safeguard. She still has watery poop, & wants high protein foods, but I'm wondering if this could be because of her molt? Either way, her feathers are growing back from the roosters over treading. I'm tempted to put bobcat pee on her when it's time to try her back with the flock!
Have you been using probiotics for the chickens? Grow2Max is a very good brand, along with Probios Dispersible Powder. Both can go in the water. Valbazen is a wormer you can give once and repeat in 10 days, getting the same worms as Safeguard with less dosing. More expensive, but many more doses, enough to split cost with a friend. Also can be used during a molt. Here is a link for Valbazen and one for Grow2Max:
http://www.kvsupply.com/valbazen-suspension-16-ounces
http://www.amazon.com/Gro2max-Poultry-Probiotic-Supplement-17-5/dp/B00BILPIRK

I do use probiotics, from sav-a-chick. But I'll be honest, not as often as I should because it states to change the water daily, that it's no longer effective after 24 hours. I thought that was true for all probiotics? Is the gro-max different? I have been mixing a little up every day for this hen, but not the others. They do get vitamins & electrolytes when it's hot, & during their molt. What about ACV? I just ordered some, with mother, to add to their water. How often is too often to add everything to their water? When using ACV, should that be the only thing added at the time? I asked these questions on the feed forum, but never got any answers. :-/

I'm going to look into the other dewormer when I need to buy more. If it targets all the worms that safeguard does, yet I don't have to worry about giving it during a molt, it'll be worth it!

She finally ate a good amount of lay crumbles. First time since she's been in. So her poop is thicker. Here is an updated picture.

I've read that before. I enjoy a lot of what the Chicken Chick posts. The only things I wish I did differently than what she recommended was I wish I had put my one hen that had fly strike on an antibiotic as soon as it happened, if I had she may still be here today. But even though she didn't have any outward signs of an infection, I still believe that's what killed her.

Back on topic. Does that mean that the Grow2Max continues to be effective in the water even after 24 hours? An 8 gallon waterer usually lasts my chickens 6 days, give or take a day, depends on how much they drink. I do have a smaller one that I just picked up. I think that it's a 5 gallon waterer. The 8 gallon one is a year old & needs to be welded on the top. I know it's safe to mix the probiotics with vitamins & electrolytes, but what about apple cider vinegar? It is safe to mix with that? Or should ACV be used on it own? I'd love to get a good rotation down for additives for their water. Depending on weather, if they're molting, etc, etc.

Back
Top Bottom