Tail looks like a roo, we bought him/her at 1 week, now 15 weeks.

desertrocks

Chirping
Jun 18, 2015
In the Sonoran Desert NW of Phoenix
We were told, Amberlink chick, female when we purchased at 1 week of age. This one along with a SLW and a GLW of the same age were the first 3 which exploded into a flock of 22 with the addition of BSL's and RIR's 4 weeks later.
Anyway I am looking at how Amber has developed and I think I am seeing Andrew.
Can I get some confirmation one gender and breed, that tail seems to shout roo.
[/IMG]

You have a red sex link pullet.  You also epitomize chicken math - I applaud you.  :clap
Awesome, not that the gender would have mattered in the long run as she is a beauty and such a sweetie. The tail threw me some but she squats when I touch her back so I was getting some mixed signals.
I will be posting some BSL pics as I manage to get decent shots of them as there are a couple that I am not so sure of. As long as we do not wind up with more than 4 roos total we shouldn't be forced to get rid of anyone. The plan is to separate the flock among the roosters and giving each group their own roosting/nesting areas.
So far we have 2 crowers, 1 EE and 1 Australorp. Among the 16 BSL's I suspect there may be a couple more, the 3 RIR's are pretty clear and there appears to be no question on the 2 Wyandottes. If they all turn out to be layers, we will look for 2 fellas under 1 year of age to split them up into smaller flocks with.
We have a 3 month old grandson so we hope to have a couple of broody girls we can set up in brooder pens so he can experience that part of the wonder of life once he is old enough to understand it, in addition to some extra birds for the freezer.

Last edited:
Black sex link pullets will be basically black with red/copper highlights. Cockerels will lock like barred rocks.

Black sex link pullets will be basically black with red/copper highlights. Cockerels will lock like barred rocks.
Most of them the markings are quite clear on however there are a couple that appear to have no color at all and are basically black with the green sheen color that my Australorp roo has.
We bought all of the BSL's and the 3 RIR's from the same store at the same time. I will pop out to the pen and see if I can get a decent image to post.
The markings on the pullets in the group vary widely from head to tail in quantity as well as where it is on the bird. As they get older it will be no problem as far as identifying individual hens, no 2 are marked exactly the same. Chest markings on some, heads on some and backs on still others. All in all a beautiful young flock in our opinion.
Hmmm, we may be obsessed with chickens but it is better than being on crack.
yippiechickie.gif

As you have become aware, the tanner colorations can vary from none to a whole lot. As long as they are not barred like barred rocks, you have all pullets.

I like to say that I am 'feather obsessed'. Birds and beagles - trip my trigger. Well, the Princess too ,but that's a given.

Back
Top Bottom