Taking away heat at 6 weeks for bantams

HenSolo123

Chirping
Feb 24, 2023
I have 6 chicks ranging in age from 6-8 weeks. They are silkies and d’uccles. They are on my outside porch currently with a heat plate (has to be on a porch to reach the power and not get rain on the power cord). I’ve been slowly moving the heat plate higher and higher. I REALLY want them off my porch so I can get it cleaned back up and claim it back for human use. Can I move the coop and the chicks to my back yard now? Temps in KY over the next week range from lows of 40° and highs in the 60°s
(Picture of the youngest attached for reference. She’s 5 weeks here but would be 6 weeks when I want to move them next week).
96BB743C-89EA-45E1-B007-71AA56E09296.jpeg

I have 6 chicks ranging in age from 6-8 weeks. They are silkies and d’uccles. They are on my outside porch currently with a heat plate (has to be on a porch to reach the power and not get rain on the power cord). I’ve been slowly moving the heat plate higher and higher. I REALLY want them off my porch so I can get it cleaned back up and claim it back for human use. Can I move the coop and the chicks to my back yard now? Temps in KY over the next week range from lows of 40° and highs in the 60°s
(Picture of the youngest attached for reference. She’s 5 weeks here but would be 6 weeks when I want to move them next week).
View attachment 3441041
At six weeks many mother hens will have abandoned their chicks and left them to fend for themselves.
As long as they have protection from the wind and can stay dry in the coop they should be okay at the temperature range you've given.
They may huddle at roost time rather than perch which is quite normal.

looks like you have a decent setup .. as mentioned, as long as they have protection from wind and draft they should be fine, but at that age they are still physically small so it doesnt take much weather to 'blow through' them just keep that in mind and theyll be alright .. id probably rig up a drop cord and incandecent in one corner for nights for a couple weeks ..

looks like you have a decent setup .. as mentioned, as long as they have protection from wind and draft they should be fine, but at that age they are still physically small so it doesnt take much weather to 'blow through' them just keep that in mind and theyll be alright .. id probably rig up a drop cord and incandecent in one corner for nights for a couple weeks ..
Thank you! Do you suggest the incandescent light for a tad extra heat because of their size? I was considering covering the coop in a tarp and adding deep litter and hot water bottles on nights it drops lower than 40°

I want to move my bantam chicks to their coop that are about the same age. They need out of the shed, but my temps aren't even as nice as yours. I think a 40 degree night should be fine for 6 week chicks especially since they can just snuggle up if needed for warmth. I turned the heat source off the other day when it was 45-50 here and I worried all day long at work because I couldn't check on them, but they were fine. Right now my temps are fluctuating so much it concerns me to have them without heat at night. My lows have been around 35, but now dipping to 29. Next week, looks more stable, so I'm hoping to have them in their own coop then.

I suggest you unplug the heat plate now (as in, this very evening) but leave it and the chicks in their same familiar pen for tonight and maybe the next night.

Then check on them several times to see how they do. If they seem distressed and cold, they may still need heat, and it will be easy to plug the plate back in.

If they huddle under the heat plate and seem content that way, you could move them and the heat plate to the coop, but leave the heat plate unplugged-- just a familiar thing for them to huddle under, until they get a bit bigger and do not want to anymore. Huddling together keeps them a little warmer, and the heat plate would provide a familiar place for them to do that.

I suggest you unplug the heat plate now (as in, this very evening) but leave it and the chicks in their same familiar pen for tonight and maybe the next night.

Then check on them several times to see how they do. If they seem distressed and cold, they may still need heat, and it will be easy to plug the plate back in.

If they huddle under the heat plate and seem content that way, you could move them and the heat plate to the coop, but leave the heat plate unplugged-- just a familiar thing for them to huddle under, until they get a bit bigger and do not want to anymore. Huddling together keeps them a little warmer, and the heat plate would provide a familiar place for them to do that.
Thank you! This was some great advice :) it’s unplugged and we’ll see how they do!

I want to move my bantam chicks to their coop that are about the same age. They need out of the shed, but my temps aren't even as nice as yours. I think a 40 degree night should be fine for 6 week chicks especially since they can just snuggle up if needed for warmth. I turned the heat source off the other day when it was 45-50 here and I worried all day long at work because I couldn't check on them, but they were fine. Right now my temps are fluctuating so much it concerns me to have them without heat at night. My lows have been around 35, but now dipping to 29. Next week, looks more stable, so I'm hoping to have them in their own coop then.
Our forecast just changed to three nights in mid to upper thirties 😩 I think I’m still going to move them today (todays when I have help to do it), and cover the coop with a tarp on those coldest nights. Maybe hot water bottles to heat it up a few degrees too

That sounds like a plan. I'd move mine out, but the area isnt ready yet. :thI have my heat unplugged during the day when its above 40, so they definitely will be ready when I get them out there.

Back
Top Bottom