Taking Over the "Business"

rfreedlund

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
Byron, Illinois
I grew up on a dairy farm and definitely decided that that was not for me. It is way too much work. My parents and uncle and aunt are now retired but we all still live on the property with multiple houses and plenty of space. My wife and kids and I live in the house I grew up in and my parents are now in the downstairs apartment where my grandparents lived.

My cousin now has his goats, my uncle has his beef steers and a few years ago my parents decided to use an old brooder house that has had multiple purposes over the decades to raise some chickens, something they had both grown up around, but never did when I was a kid. Well they decided that after two flocks of Rhode Island Reds, they were ready to move onto some other things and I don't know what got into me, but I decided it would be fun to do it myself. Everything is there, I just need to wait for my chicks to get here at the end of the month.

I have been learning a lot on the Internet (it's amazing what you find) and I can't get chickens off of my brain so I decided to sign-up for this site too.

I am looking forward to learning a lot more.

images

Welcome to BYC!

This is THE place to be when you own poultry!! If you need any more tips and hints on raising your new flock, stop by our learning center here on BYC for lots of great reads on all the aspects of keeping poultry...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Great to have you aboard and if you have any questions, that is what we are here for. Welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your new chicks when they arrive, am sure you will find them to be quite entertaining and a lot easier than the dairy cattle..

Back
Top Bottom