Tales From Chickentown

PrairieChickens

Songster
7 Years
Jun 29, 2012
Kansas
Important Note: Please do not quote this post in its entirety! It's a doozy! Thank you.

Ever since my parents purchased their house on a large lot in a rural Kansas town, we'd talked about one day owning chickens. The property had come with a chicken coop already built and ready to go, and chicken ownership was on par with our goals to be self-sufficient, but for one reason or another, my dad kept putting it off. "Next year," he'd say. "Next year we'll get chickens."

This went on, year after year. Every year, he said he'd get chickens "next year", then next year would come, and he'd put it off again. Finally one day I went to a local farmer's market to sell my crafts, and watched the woman in the stall next to mine sell out of eggs within an hour of setting up. That afternoon I said to Dad, "we're not getting chickens next year--we're getting them this year!"

We started out with the noble ambition of owning "a small flock of 8-10 hens". That will be all we need, we agreed. (Stop laughing--don't get ahead of me!) We started off our flock with an assortment of dual-purpose varieties, including black sexlink, red sexlink, barred rocks, and Rhode Island reds. All in all, we started out with about 20 chicks--we had a large enough coop, and we wanted to account for any casualties or surprise roosters we might get. (And so it begins...)

Don't let them fool you--it looks like they're foraging, but they're actually plotting world domination.

Of the original 20, only one turned out to be a rooster, and what a foul-tempered creature he was! A barred rock named Mildred turned out to be a Milton instead, and despite barred rocks' reputations for being docile, friendly birds, Milton was a vicious, conniving ******* of a bird, born straight from an egg hatched in the fires of Hell. By six months old, he was enthusiastically flogging us at any opportunity, and we'd taken up the habit of carrying large, heavy sticks with us for protection. To make matters worse, he did little to protect his flock--despite being vicious towards humans, he ran in fear from any other creature, and we lost half of our flock to predators in the first year while he scurried and hid far from harm's way.

To top it all off, the wretched bird was seemingly immortal. More than once, he went to flog someone who was armed with a rooster stick. More than once, we hit him so hard in defense that we were sure we'd killed him. Every time, he picked himself back up, shook off the blow, and wandered away. He was truly a vile creature. To this day, I cannot understand why we kept him for so long.

At least he was pretty to photograph.

As I mentioned before, Milton's reluctance to defend the flock meant we lost about half of our hens within the first year. Although this fell well within our original ambitions to have "a small flock of 8-10 hens" (Remember that? Stop laughing!) we had since then become used to the idea of a flock of 20 birds and decided to replace what was lost. Just like before, we wanted to make sure we got enough chicks to cover any potential losses, so of course, we got another 20 chicks, bringing our flock count up to about 30 total birds.

This time, however, we had more options. In addition to the run-of-the-mill production varieties, Orscheln's offered something we'd never seen or heard of before. Polish crested chicks.

"Four dollars for a chick!?" my dad exclaimed, "I'm not paying four dollars for chicks!"
But then he paused.
"What is a Polish crested anyway?"
We found a book of chicken breeds, looked up Polish crested, and ended up coming home with six of the chicks Dad originally said he wouldn't buy. We also bought four "rainbow layers", some production red, and five "Ameraucana" chicks, which we later learned were actually "Easter Eggers"

"We only need 10 chicks, so we should probably get 100, just to be on the safe side."

Among the new acquisitions was a particularly outgoing and friendly Polish crested chick named Chicky Gaga. (For those tracking my decline into madness, this is where it all really began.) Though I'd had chickens in the past who tolerated my company, I had never had one that sought it out, so when we went to select our new chicks in the store and Chicky Gaga literally leaped into the hands of the employee helping us, it was quite a shock! She continued to be brave and friendly, to the point that we feared for her safety. At one point, she wandered over to the chicken wire barrier between the brooder and the main coop, and stood there patiently while the older chickens pecked her face through the wire! She was always the first to come running when she saw people, and as she grew, she just became more and more fascinating. She had tend pounds of personality in a five pound sack, and her flamboyant appearance made her all the more entertaining. Fearlessly, she would drive away trespassing cats, even challenging the dogs through the dog run fence, and when she heard us calling her name, she always came running. She gave us a taste not only of the unique varieties of chicken available to add to our flock, but of the depth of personality and companionship chickens could offer.

With style like this, is it any wonder we named her Gaga?

Of the new acquisitions, two turned out to be boys this time. Mary turned out to be a white rooster we named Mars, and Buttercup, a silver-laced Polish crested, ended up being Elvis Poultry. This brought our total rooster count up to three, counting the infamous Milton. Much to our chagrin, Elvis--for all his good looks and photogenic qualities--was just as vile as Milton and twice as stupid. We now had to watch our backs twice as carefully, keeping an eye out not only for Milton, but for the brazen Elvis as well. The yard became populated with makeshift "rooster sticks" that we could grab at a moment's notice, and anxiety ran high when we tended to the flock.

And this, folks, is what it looks like when a rooster is plotting your demise.

Seemingly above the nonsense was Mars, the big white rooster who joined us as part of the rainbow layer assortment. Rather than participating in the people-flogging, he began placing himself between the humans and the attacking roosters. At first, he did so to protect his fellow chickens, preventing us from beating the tar out of Elvis after he'd flogged us, but as Elvis's attacks became more and more aggressive, Mars stopped protecting his brood mate from us, and started protecting us from him! Finally, we had an opportunity to get rid of our aggressive roosters, and Milton and Elvis were packed up and sent off to live (for how long, I don't know) on a farm in the country. Mars, in reward for his docile nature and noble service, stayed on as the sole rooster in our flock.

Don't look so surprised, buddy--you earned this!

Meanwhile, a new challenge was rearing its ugly head. Although we'd lost chickens to a variety of predators including foxes, stray dogs, and even an unusually ambitious opossum, the greatest threat to our flock seemed to be one of our own. My dog--a Pembroke Welsh corgi named Boomer--had developed a nasty habit of mauling any chicken he could get a hold of. Even our efforts to keep him locked up in a separate run seemed futile, as chickens still seemed to find a way to put themselves within his reach. By the end of the year, he'd killed two of our hens and mauled a third (who fortunately survived her injuries and recovered.) Confident we could restrain and/or retrain him, we did not rehome him right away, but the deaths would not end there. Though we couldn't know it at the time, he would ultimately do far more damage to our flock any any wild predator could have.

Boomer, the serial chicken killer.

In 2013, we again went to Orcheln's to purchase chicks to add to our flock. Unlike the year prior, casualties had been minimal, and we bought chicks because we wanted more. Instead of focusing on production varieties as we had in the past, we began trying out new and unusual varieties we hadn't owned before. We purchased bantams from the bantam assortment in the hopes of acquiring at least one broody hen. We bought buff orpingtons and australorps for eggs. We even rescued an EE rooster from the panfry bin just because my mom thought he was too cute to leave behind. Our flock numbers swelled.

Who's up for a game of chick-tac-toe?

Among the third generation of chicks was a particularly spirited bantam cochin I called "Graybeak". Whenever I would tap the table or hold out my hand, Graybeak would come running, and was so excited when it went outside for the first time that it would spin in circles on my lap. "It's probably a rooster," my mom said upon observing Graybeak's exuberant behavior, but much to my delight, Graybeak matured into a lovely red hen! I dubbed her "Mrs. Patmore" after one of my favorite characters from the TV series Downton Abbey, and she became my very best friend.

Just like the character from the TV show,she's short, round, and a red-head!

Mrs. Patmore loved to cuddle. She would fly up to perch on my arm whenever it was extended and cuddle me for hours if I allowed it. Treats or no treats, she wanted to be close, and her sweet nature never waned. She was the first of the banties to start laying, and I was looking forward to the day when I would be able to breed her. She was a sheer delight. Then one day, tragedy struck. My dog, the notorious chicken killer, escaped the run, and of the nearly 40 chickens he could have targeted that day, he zeroed in on the sweet Mrs. Patmore. I was heartbroken, not only at the loss of my beloved hen, but at the unexpected savagery that was manifesting in my otherwise wonderful dog. It was as though I had lost two pets that day, and I didn't know what to do. We tightened our efforts to keep Boomer separated from the chickens, even going so far as to no longer allow him to visit my dad's house at all, eliminating his social interaction with the other dogs. It was painful for all of us, but what else could I do? Something I loved was determined to kill something else that I loved. I was devastated.

To help me cope with my grief, my husband got me a gift--the opportunity to purchase my first batch of chicks online. After much thought and consideration, we settled on welsummers, speckled sussex, and Jersey giants, and placed our order. Shortly after they arrived, Orscheln's offered their first ever fall chicks selection, and we ended up with 8 more, doubling the number of baby chicks for me to cuddle. Although they couldn't replace Mrs. Patmore, their presence soothed my spirit, but then something remarkable happened...

...Mrs. Patmore came back to me.

She didn't come back exactly as she'd been, of course--that would be impossible. Instead, she took the form of a beautiful little barred rock pullet named Sweet Basil. Sweet Basil wasted no time in showing me her true nature, quickly adopting the habit of leaping onto me and scaling as high as she could--a trait that before then I had only ever seen in Patmore. Within a week of coming home with us, Sweet basil was without a doubt my favorite chicken in the flock.

I foresee this ending badly for me... or at the very least, for my hair.

Up to this point, we were identifying the chickens by the "generation" they belonged to. Chickens purchased the first year were first generation, second year were second generation, and so on. With the purchase of the September chicks, we resorted to referring to them as "Generation 3.5", but we would quickly realize that the "generations" model of identification was soon to be a thing of the past. As it turns out, those bantams I'd purchased in the hopes of acquiring a broody made good on my expectations. I ended up with not one, but two exceptionally broody hens! By December, they'd hatched out six chicks between the two of them, our very first home-grown chickies! They would be only the first of many home-grown chicks to add to our flock.

"Brand new, fresh out! GOTTA LOVE ME!"

Meanwhile, among the flock, something big was happening. Ever since Milton and Elvis had been removed from the scene, Mars had ruled as head rooster over the chickens of Chicken Town. A wise and benevolent leader, he tolerated the many new roosters who had come to populate his flock since that spring, and there were a lot of them! Although we'd purchased the bantams knowing they were straight run and the Easter Egger named "Gryffindor" knowing he was a boy, we'd also been landed with several "surprise" roosters among chicks that were supposed to be pullets. Mars watched over them all, showing them the ropes, protecting them from harm, and generally just being a totally awesome father figure to them...

Which made their betrayal all the more bitter.

One day we went out to collect eggs and let the chickens out to free range, only to find Mars cowering in a corner of the coop, battered and bloodied. We quickly realized the cause--all of the roosters, with the exception of the September lads, had suddenly decided en masse to overthrow the mighty Mars. Although Mars is technically the name for the God of War, it became apparent to us that in this case, Mars was actually short for Marshmallow, and a big softy like him was no match for the vicious ambitions of his juniors. We promptly set Mars up in his own private suite, with a harem of lovely ladies to keep him company, and he has remained separate from the main flock ever since.

Poor Mars--first frostbite, and now this!

One thing Mars will never have to worry about is becoming dinner. His excellent service as a flock protector--not to mention all of the times he protected us from Milton and Elvis--have not been forgotten. He will live out his days in comfort and security for as long as nature will permit it. As for the mutineers, their fates are mixed. Some are destined for the stew pot, some will be rehomed. Only a few exceptional specimens will be able to stay. Among the lucky few is Gryffindor, the EE my mother rescued from the panfry bin. Although his elegant looks would be reason enough to want to keep him, he solidified his status as flock protector when I saw him race out to challenge a military helicopter that was flying overhead. Any rooster ready to take on the National Guard for his hens is a keeper as far as I'm concerned!

"Black Hawk? I don't care WHAT kind of hawk it is--if it comes near my girls, it's going down!"

In January, my husband bought me an incubator for my birthday, and he let me choose what kind I wanted. I selected the Hova-bator "Genesis" model with the automatic egg turner. With the egg turner, it had a whopping capacity of 42 standard-sized eggs.

"That's a lot of eggs!" my husband said. "Do you really need one that big?"
"It's the best one for the money," I replied. "Besides, I don't have to fill it to capacity--I could just hatch out a few eggs at a time if I wanted to."
Again, I hear you laughing. Stop it.

Long story short, he bought me the Genesis, and I immediately set it up and started twenty eggs from my mixed flock. Despite the sub-zero temps and long storage time, more than half of the eggs hatched! I started another clutch, and then another. The broody hens went broody again, Orscheln's started Chick Days... within the span of less than four months, our flock had gone from forty-five birds to over a hundred! We began talking about building up a large enough flock to justify taking eggs to a farmer's market in the city, and things were looking very positive in Chicken Town.

Crazy chicken lady? I'm quite sure I don't know what you mean.

Still, there was heartache. My dog once again found a way to reach the chickens, this time escaping my yard and trekking across town on his own to my dad's house. He found our bantam d'uccle rooster Spice out of the run, and though Spice survived the initial attack, he eventually succumbed to his injuries. Now in addition to being on a leash and being exiled to the far end of town, my dog was also forced to wear a muzzle whenever he was going to be outside. This seemed to be an acceptable solution, and the muzzle was so effective, he was even able to start visiting his dog friends at my dad's house again. It appeared that I would be able to keep my beloved--if somewhat murderous--dog and a flock of chickens at the same time... until one day...

I had gone out to my car to get something--just a quick in-and-out--but as I was going out, my dog apparently followed me. I realized when I went back inside that my shadow was missing, and dread struck me--Boomer wasn't wearing his muzzle! I called and called for him, but he didn't come, so I went inside to call my parents and warn him that he was on the loose.

By chance, I glanced out the window and noticed one of my chicks from the outdoor brooder was loose! Horrified I rushed outside to find my dog had somehow managed to get the brooder coop's door open, and was gleefully killing any chick he could catch. By the time I caught him, four chicks had been killed, including my precious Ameraucana rooster Yang and a favored barred rock mix named Surprise. I couldn't bear it. I locked Boomer in a bedroom, gathered up the terrified survivors, and secured the coop. After I'd buried the bodies, I went inside and put up an announcement that I needed to find my dog a new home. Although I still loved him very much, I could no longer keep Boomer if I had any intentions of having chickens, and despite all he had done, it was still one of the hardest choices I have ever had to make.

A moment from happier times. Sometimes the right thing to do is also the hardest.

Boomer has an appointment with his potential new family today to see how he gets on, and there are more chicks on the way. With any amount of luck, the next report from Chicken Town will be a happier one, for all parties involved.

Thanks for reading!

Hello again. It's been a while. A lot has happened in Chickentown since my last report. Our last batch of eggs hatched well, and added more than thirty little feathered friends to our flock. Although I'd intended for them to hatch on a schedule that would allow the students to watch them, chicks are rarely concerned with our schedules and ended up hatching early. The last chick to hatch pushed itself free of its shell as the kids were getting off the bus to start their class. Talk about timing! If they were disappointed by missing the action, though, it didn't last long. They got to handle and feed the new babies, and for a few lucky kids whose chicks were easy to distinguish for the rest, they got to name "their" chicks. One notable thing about this hatch: out of 32 chicks, 18 were barred rocks/barred rock mixes. Note to self: Keep the BR rooster penned up the next time I want to hatch eggs if I want to have any variety in my chicks!

The babies that hatched from our last incubation got to be guests of honor at our last big shindig of the year. I deliberately timed the hatch so that we'd have fluffy baby chicks just in time for the big dinner, and they were a total hit! Kids lined up around the block to get to feed the chicks chick starter from their hands, and the socialization was really good for the babies. By the end of the day, they were so relaxed about being handled that it was no challenge at all to transfer them to and from the brooder. Although they're no longer so blase about people at this age, they are still some of the calmest chickens in my flock to this day.

Feeding the babies

Originally, I'd planned to put the incubator into storage until September, at which point I would hatch out more chicks to raise up for spring pullets. Unfortunately, we suffered an onslaught of fox attacks, losing more than a dozen birds in less than a week. Among the casualties were Polly and Ninja, two chicks from my first hatch that were family favorites. We also lost Sugar, our bantam d'uccle hen, and many others. A red rooster from one of my MPC orders (a mystery chick we suspect is a New Hampshire) was also attacked, but despite severe injuries and a grim chance of survival, he pulled through and has since made a full recovery. His experience in the chicken infirmary made him a total sweetheart, and we have dubbed him "Rocky". As long as he doesn't develop any bad habits later on, he should have a home for life with us.

"Why does everyone keep shouting 'Adrian!' when they see me?"

Because we lost so many chickens to the fox, I decided to hatch out one batch of eggs this summer to recoup our losses. I had already set up our rooster Mars in a private pen with three of my favorite hens, and so when the time came that I wanted eggs to hatch, I just collected from their nesting box. Twenty eggs went into the incubator on June 9th, 17 from the Mars' harem, and 3 Polish crested eggs from the main flock (because I couldn't resist!) At almost the exact same time, our hen Anna went broody AGAIN, so we tucked four bantam eggs under her, with a sneaky hen adding a fifth egg that night. Although I haven't candled any of the broody eggs, the eggs in the incubator are all showing movement and development.

"It's hard work being this sexy."

In addition to being a daddy 17 times over, Mars's lot has also improved in that he can now be let out to free range with his girls pretty much every day. They've been in their private coop and run long enough that they recognize it as home, and because it is set up on the far side of the yard from the main flock's coop, they identify that half of the yard as their territory and mostly stick to it. This means Mars and Gryffindor haven't had an altercation in ages, despite being out in the yard at the same time. It helps that the fenced-in garden provides a natural boundary to help them establish their own separate territories, and the massive influx of new upstart juveniles appearing in the flock keeps Gryff so busy he has little time left to go looking for trouble with Mars! Despite the fact that our flock has increased by over 100 chickens since Gryffindor started attacking Mars, things have actually become more peaceful rather than less.

"I don't know about you, but I could use a vacation!"

Meanwhile, the last surviving pullet from my first incubator hatch laid her first egg this week! Much to my delight, she is an olive egger! A cross between Gryffindor, an Easter Egger, and Winnie, a white rock, Hedwig apparently inherited her father's blue egg gene and her mother's brown, resulting in this little beauty.

My first olive egg.

Now that Hedwig is laying, it's only a matter of time before my other newbies start. Zen, my silver-laced wyandotte, is already looking very red in the comb and wattles, and Daenerys, my Ameraucana, can't be far behind. By August, I should be up to my ears in eggs!

Current population: 164

Zip is undergoing an intensive mite treatment right now, but has shown significant improvement. In the future I'll know to be a lot more aggressive with the treatment, but I was too light-handed in the beginning, which drew things out longer than they should have been. Once Zip is clean, he will get to meet Pip, and hopefully they'll hit it off. In addition, I managed to get three more OEGB chicks from the store during chick days, and at least one of them is a rooster. If Pip doesn't like Zip, maybe she'll prefer "Tiny Tim".

Hatch Update!

All five eggs under the broody hen hatched and are thriving. Of the 18 eggs that made it to lockdown, only 2 quit. All but two of the remaining eggs have hatched, with the last two latenicks taking their sweet time after pipping externally. Photos of the incubated chicks will be posted once they've all dried off, but here's some shots of Super Broody Anna and her crew.

July 11th, 2014

The chicks that hatched in late June/early July are all doing very well! Although my husband has taken a lot of photos of them, he's yet to share them with me, so I haven't been able to post them yet. The only photo I've managed to snag from him so far is this one, which he posted in his online photo gallery.

"Are your feet hot too, or is it just me?"

In addition to Anna, the broody bantam who hatched out the five bantam chicks, we have another bantam cochin named O'Brien who is also prone to going broody. Unlike Anna, however, O'Brien is kind of neurotic and twitchy, and our efforts to relocate the finnicky little bird out of the nesting boxes resulted in her breaking of her broodiness entirely. Perhaps it's for the best, since O'Brien is not a reliable incubator of eggs, and has resulted in the deaths of several chicks on the verge of hatching.

Much to our surprise, however, we had a newcomer to the broody game. Our Barred Rock hen Marjoram went broody this week, and unlike O'Brien, she was more than happy to be relocated to the broody cage. I gave her a large clutch of eggs, which--if all goes well--will hatch around the end of the month. There's another difference between Marj and the bantams besides her size and the ability to relocate her... Marjoram, as it turns out, is a BITER. Spoiled by Anna and O'Brien's sweet and calm nature during brooding, I was not prepared for the savage, velociraptor-esque chomps I got when I went to handle Marjoram!

"This egg is mine. This one is mine too. Those eggs there--also mine.
Mine. Mine. Mine. Mine."

Marjoram going broody wasn't the only surprise I got this week. A barred rock/orpington mix that I was sure was a rooster turned out to actually be a hen! The nameless bird was incorrectly assumed to be a male, because her comb and wattle filled out so much more quickly than her fellow pullets, and her development seemed on par with that of the roosters from her age group. Our error was corrected when we spotted her in an amorous relationship with a tiny bantam rooster named Eddy, who apparently did not share our confusion. I suppose we've solved the mystery of the peculiar brown eggs that have been appearing in the juveniles' coop!

This is good news for her, since hens don't have to meet nearly as tough a cut as the roosters do to avoid becoming supper. Although she isn't very friendly or interesting, she won't have to worry about making the "list" this fall as our roosters start reaching fryer size.

"I refuse to reinforce the misguided concept of a gender binary."

The current population of Chickentown is 183. Here's a few of our inhabitants.

Although I haven't yet given a name to this lovely girl, this buckeye is a very special lady to me. I'd wanted a buckeye for quite a while when I got her, and finally acquired her during one of my purchases from My Pet Chicken. Despite the fact that I didn't have a lot of free time to devote to handling her and socializing her, this beauty has decided I'm allowed to pick her up, cuddle her, and feed her treats. (Though she is very particular about what treats will even warrant her interest.) She remains unnamed only because I have not yet decided on one that would suit her position as one of my favorite girls in the flock.

This handsome young boy goes by the working name "Snowflake", because his unusually coloring reminds me of snow falling against a dark background. His name may change as he grows and matures, but for now it will do. He is another favorite, always nearby when I'm outside, with a calm and curious nature. Although he went through a brief phase where he was terrified of me, he has since decided I'm a pretty OK creature to hang out with.... He just doesn't want to be picked up, thanks very much.

Although we have no shortage of red chickens in our flock these days, Tangerine still manages to stand out from the crowd with her smooth, red coloring and pale-colored legs. We're not entirely sure who her parents were, though we're pretty confident a production red was involved somewhere. One of my theories is that her mother was a speckled sussex and her father a P.R., but I don't know how the genetics would really work to produce this coloring. Another possibility is that her light legs came from an Easter Egger parent, though there is usually some sign of cheek puffs or a pea comb in such crosses. Regardless of her family tree, Tangerine is a sweet, mellow bird who doesn't get mixed up in flock drama, and is content to move through life with a zen and tranquil nature.

Gru is a very special bird, because his parents are very special birds. Gryffindor, an EE rooster, and Mrs. Hughes, a black Australorp, are the only two chickens I have ever seen in my life who appear to be in love. Not only do they roost and forage together, but I have more than once walked in on them engaging in a strange behavior I could only describe as "canoodling". They will lay down next to each other, either in the dustbathing area or in a corner of the coop, and rub up against each other while making strange, cooing noises. The fact that they produced offspring is no surprise, nor is it any surprise that Gru is a sweet, inquisitive, and friendly bird who always wants to know what his people are up to. At this rate, he's going to be quite a keeper.

Originally dubbed the painfully uncreative name "Cheekpuffs" Puff Daddy is a young fella from the same brood as Gru. Like Gru, he has a chill personality and curious nature, and while he shares most roosters' aversion to being held, he's a friendly bird who enjoys human company. An EE/Barred Rock mix, we're not sure which parent was which, since he easily could have been sired by an EE rooster OR a BR rooster.

Hedwig is the only remaining female from my very first incubator hatch. As one would expect due to her seniority, she was the first of my new pullets to start laying, and lays a lovely, mint-green egg! Hedwig has another peculiar quirk--unlike most of my hens, who like to pick a spot to lay and stick with it, Hedwig seems to enjoy finding new places to lay every day. One day, she will lay in her coop, another, she will travel down to the far end of the yard to lay an egg in the chicken tractor's nesting box. The next, she will lay an egg in the main coop, or in the straw pile next to the coop door. Fortunately, her eggs have been fairly easy to find, and because of their distinctive color, we notice pretty quickly if we haven't found her egg yet for the day.

Anna is our very own super-broody, having gone broody three times since November of last year. Her current brood is the first she's had the chance to raise alone, without the interference of the neurotic Mrs. O'Brien throwing off her groove. In addition, we gave her only bantam eggs to incubate this time, resulting in chicks who are much more her size.

This unnamed goofball is a Polish mix of some kind. Its mother was most likely Aretha, our Silver-Laced Polish, but despite its barred appearance, its father wasn't necessarily a barred rock rooster. Time will tell if this little oddity will develop a wider range of color, as well as if it will be a male or a female. For now, it's not keen on letting anyone close enough to find out!

Gainsborough, a longtime favorite of mine, had to be confined to the bachelor run for a few weeks due to his raging hormones making life miserable for the other juveniles. His hormones have settled, and he has been released on parole. He will probably never be as sweet and lovey with me as he was when he was a chick, but he is no longer in quite so much danger of ending up on "the List". If nothing else, he has several months yet to prove to use that he is a reformed rooster, and can be trusted to stick around as a long-term member of our flock.

October 18, 2014

Hello, have you missed me? It's been busy here in Chickentown! Here's some updates:

The population of Chickentown is now 196--I think. My brown leghorns and a handful of other chickens have gone feral, roosting in the trees at night instead of in the coops, and it's become very difficult to take an accurate tally of who is still around. Assuming I haven't had any casualties I don't know about, 196 is the number of inhabitants in Chickentown, including 11 chicks that belong to my friend April, but live in a coop on the premises since her town bans chickens.

Samurai, a chick from my first 'bator hatch who developed a deformed wing, was killed by a predator a few weeks ago. It was actually somewhat of a relief, since he was going to have to be put down soon anyway, and was actually scheduled to be butchered soon. Since Samurai looked to me as his only ally in a big, mean world, I was not looking forward to having to betray his trust. The only part of him the predator left behind was his deformed wing, so I buried it in the garden and said my goodbyes.

My husband wanted very badly to upgrade his car to a newer, shinier version. so to butter me up, he got me a gift... Chickens, of course! I got five straight-run silkies, two exchequer leghorns, and three Polish crested roosters. My husband got his car.

Although I had hoped for friendly silkies when I placed this order, the friendliest chick in the brood turned out to be my leghorn cockerel! Named Leonard after a character from Big Bang Theory, Leonard follows me devotedly and cuddles on my shoulder for naps. Surprisingly, his female counterpart Penny wants nothing to do with me, but that's ok--I hadn't gotten the leghorns expecting them to be friendly.

Leonard's got it all! He's friendly, handsome, and delightfully quirky. I knew within a couple of weeks that he was the boy because of his reddening comb and wattles, but as if to eliminate any remaining doubt, he started crowing at just 3 weeks of age! A no-crow collar may be in his future, since as much as I love him, I don't look forward to hearing him sing me the song of his people outside my bedroom window at 5 AM once his vocal chords grow in.

Another noteworthy member of this brood is "Rosie", a silkie chick of uncertain gender. Rosie is calm, sweet, and friendly--oddly, the first silkie I've own to live up to the reputation! She and Leonard will often snuggle up together on my shoulder for a nap if I give them the opportunity.

David Crowie is the friendliest of my Polish roosters. Practically a clone of the famous Chicky Gaga, except for being male, David is outgoing, brave, and eccentric. Like most Polish I've owned, he loves to chase cats, something my cat Athena was not happy about. Fortunately, neither one has any apparent interest in harming the other!

In other news, I tried my hand at hatching some shipped eggs recently. Out of 13 leghorn eggs, only 5 made it to lockdown, and only one ended up hatching. The lonely leghorn hatched too early however, and hadn't fully absorbed her yolk sac. I didn't expect her to survive the night, but although she was unable to do anything but lie on her back in the incubator, the chick held on. After a day or so in the incubator, I set up a very small brooder--a box no more than 25 inches square with a desk lamp for heat. Since the chick was completely unable to walk or even stand, I saw no need for anything bigger. I took her out frequently to help her exercise her legs, letting her push her feet against the palm of my hand while I held her steady with the other, and offered her regular sips of wet mash. Though she barely sipped at the "broth" of her chick starter soup, the fact that she was willing to try to eat at all was a sign she wanted to live.

Much to my surprise, the next morning I found my little warrior standing up in her tiny brooder. Though she was still unsteady on her feet, she took slightly longer sips of chick starter soup, and wobbled about her small space with increasing determination. I set up a larger box for her, and gave her a friend--a black mutt chick from the same hatch who was already twice her size, but very calm and gentle. I had to choose very carefully, since in her weak state, innocent pecking could have easily killed her.

Over the course of the day, the chick's progress seemed to backslide. By the time I went to bed, she was unable to stand properly and seemed to have lost her appetite. Her feet folded under themselves and she wobbled uncontrollably. Having seen several chicks waste away from various conditions, I recognized this as a sign that the chick was on her way out. My pessimism wasn't helped by the fact that another chick in the hatch--a home grown white plymouth rock--had been born severely deformed, and I had to euthanize it to avoid a slow death of starvation. I was quite certain that the leghorn chick would join it soon, but couldn't bring myself to give up on it just yet. Perhaps I was just squeamish about having to euthanize a second chick, but I decided that if the chick survived the night, I would evaluate her condition in the morning. If not, then nature had taken care of matters for me.

Morning arrived, and I checked on the little chick. Much to my surprise, I saw her toddling around the brooder on solid little feet, eager for a sip of her chickstarter soup when I offered it to her. As the day progressed, the chick grew stronger and stronger, even climbing onto her crocheted pouch on her own to nap under the heat lamp. The final sign that my little warrior was going to be ok was when I saw her scratching around with her buddy, eating the dry chick starter up off of the brooder floor. Though she is still the size of a newborn chick and half the size she should be, I am confident now that she is going to be ok. I have named "her" Xiao Yongshi, meaning "Little Warrior".

For those that recall Zip's ordeal with the lice (I mistakenly referred to it as mites before, but they are in fact poultry lice), that ordeal is yet ongoing. I went from "All Natural" spray to Sevin dust, and all to no avail. Though it diminished the population, it failed to eradicate the pests completely. I've moved on to a new method--for the sake of his lungs as well as mine. We're giving Ivermectin a try now, and I will post on the success--or lack of--as treatment progresses.

Here's some random stuff from around Chickentown:

My dad discovered a stash of 9 green eggs on the floor of his garage, left there by a single sneaky hen. The hen continues to lay her eggs on the bare concrete of the garage floor, but now that I know they are there, I can collect them promptly. The 9 eggs we found in the picture have gone into the incubator, since we weren't comfortable selling them and already had too many eggs to eat on our own.

Apologies to any who may find this image morbid, but I was so very proud of it that I had to share. We processed 8 roosters a week ago, and I roasted one up as soon as it was relaxed enough to cook. For those used to store-bought chicken, the meat was sparse and tougher than they might expect, but I found it to be flavorful and very tender considering the free-range nature and the age of the bird in question. The fact that I am able to provide food for myself and my family through my chickens helps me to justify their continued existence in Chickentown. Though I'm sure the roosters we had to butcher weren't happy about the arrangement, they still lived a far better life than any factory-farmed chicken, and went out of this world more kindly than they would have to a predator or commercial slaughterhouse.

As I mentioned earlier in the post, some of my chickens have gone feral. In order to continue getting eggs from them, I have set up nesting boxes around the yard. As you can see, they've been rather successful at enticing my leghorns to lay where I can find the eggs. (the brown eggs are from my plymouth rocks, who are certainly not feral, but nonetheless appreciated having a spot to relieve themselves.)

An old English game bantam and d'uccle bantam take up residence in the pecan tree. They roost here at night, and are essentially wild. They're not alone, either... all three of my brown leghorn hens, a welsummer/cochin mix named Fred, an unnamed barred rock mix (that should be too fat to fly that high), a OEGB rooster, and a lakenvelder named Pigeon all prefer to go to roost in the tree at night rather than come inside into the coop. Since they are out of the reach of our primary predators here (and I couldn't catch them even if I wanted to), I leave them to it.

My husband and I wrangled the worst-infested chickens Sunday night to check on their condition (next treatment is on Wednesday), and we found zero lice. None, nada, zilch! Not even any signs that they'd been chewed on by the little beasts! Considering how bad the infestation was when we treated them last Sunday, I was really surprised--and happy--to see such a turn of events. I am intrigued by Spinosad. I used Comfortis with Boomer when I had him, and it worked really well. I didn't know it also had applications for poultry as well! Definitely worth looking into.

I gave the quarantined chickens their second application of the Ivermectin. Thorough inspection revealed no lice on any of the birds, even though some have obviously been badly infested based on the proliferation of nits on their feather shafts. At last, Zip will be able to meet Pip, and I will be able to move the girls where they need to go.

One bit of "bad" news: turns out that both of the Ameraucana roosters I bought are actually girls! It's a mixed blessing: on the one hand, it means I got two free Ameraucana hens, which considering day-old pullets are $20 each is a pretty big deal. On the other hand, this means I can't start breeding Ameraucanas until I successfully raise a roo to adulthood. I'm stalking MPC's overhatch announcements to see if I can snag another blue Ameraucana rooster. In the meantime, I am going to introduce the stunning Mr. Gru to my Ameraucanas in the hopes of producing some very pretty Easter Egger chicks.

Unfortunately, I haven't taken a recent photo of Gru, which is a shame because he's quite a beautiful rooster. Photos don't easily capture the intensely iridescent nature of his feathers, but he sure is a handsome fellow. His chicks won't be even remotely purebred, but they will sure be pretty!

I also have to order another Black Copper Marans rooster, since the chick I thought was male turned out to be another hen as well. This was no sexing error on MPC's part--I had ordered a male and two females, and one chick had died shortly after arriving. Apparently, that was my male, and I will have to order another if I hope to breed BCM's OR Olive Eggers. ~.~ It's a setback, but not a total bust. After all, I have a good population of hens, which is the most important part.

So far, no signs of development in the Jersey Giant eggs. I may not be successful in my attempts to produce a OEGB/JG mix. lol

I went on a photo-taking spree today, and got current photos of most of my birds, including the handsome Mr. Gru. I had to move Zip out of the Amerauacana/BCM run because he kept attacking Gru, and Gru was too sweet-natured to fight back. Zip is chillin' in the Junior run until I have a setup where he can be introduced to Pip. For now, he gets to keep the kiddos company.

"Darnit! Another pen!"

Anna has gone broody again. This makes 4. Unlike the last three times, however, I had the foresight to save some of her eggs back. A couple of them are getting ready to hatch in my incubator right now. Rather than having her sit on eggs this time, I plan to just tuck a couple of her chicks under her--it'll be the first time she'll raise her own chicks, despite raising three broods.

Hen at work.

I am more grateful than ever for the massive influx of new layers, since most of my older girls have stopped laying. Their hiatus isn't due to the shorter days, however... it's due to some of the most unkind molting I've seen in my flock yet!

Even the mighty Gryffindor is looking rather scruffy...

Chicky Gaga on the other hand, continues to look fabulous.

With a flock as large as mine, it's impossible to note when every single hen lays her first egg, but I am pleased to announce that my blue cochin Rain laid her first egg yesterday. It was just a little thing--a petite 1.4 ounces--but it will surely be the first of many.

"I'm all about that bass, 'bout that bass..."

And in a closing note, I will tell you about Mr. Boots. One of my many mutt chicks, Mr. Boots surprised me with his calm and complacent nature--as a juvenile, he allowed me to scoop him up and cuddle him, and I thought perhaps he might be a female. I tagged him to make sure I could keep track of him, and watched as he matured into an absolutely adorable little rooster.

As he transitioned into adulthood, however, Mr. Boots went through a phase where he didn't want to be handled anymore. He became just as standoffish and shy as any rooster, and as such, ended up segregated in the Bachelor Coop with the rest of the unexceptional roosters. There he would have remained for the rest of his days, had he not made one life-altering decision. As I filled the roosters feed and water, Mr. Boots approached me and turned a hopeful gaze my way. It was a look I recognized, though I'd never seen it on a rooster's face before--he wanted to be picked up! Dubious that his look was genuine, I extended my hands towards him anyway, and Mr. Boots allowed me to scoop him up into my arms. He melted into my arms, and allowed me to hold him as I finished tending to the rest of the roosters. I ended up carrying him outside and letting him join the rest of the flock, and now every day since, he will go to bed in the rooster coop at night, then ask to be picked up and let out in the morning. I of course am happy to oblige.

Mr. Boots, a bantam cochin/barred rock mix

Back
Top Bottom