tamanu oil for bumblefoot? thoughts?

DLA

Songster
Jul 8, 2022
South Buffalo Twp, PA
I know tamanu oil works great on people for a variety of skin problems and wounds and I've read about it being used on cats and dogs successfully too. Just wondering if anyone has ever used or heard of it being used on chickens for bumblefoot? I recently thought I cured a hen that had it on both feet, I caught it pretty early so it wasn't too bad. One foot is 100% but the other I must have missed a spot when I was cleaning it out and it seems to be coming back. Either way I was thinking of rubbing tamanu oil into the bumble before I wrap it and wondering if anyone else has ever tried it or heard anything about it. I'm on the fence if I should use her as a guinea pig but having recurring problems with bumblefoot isn't good for her either. I'd appreciate any thoughts. I've seen posts with people using lavender oil, tea tree oil, oregano oil but have never heard this one mentioned.

Never heard of it.

Are you sure you got all of the pus out of the foot?

Just looked it up. It's a nut oil? Doubt it will cure an infection.

You need to look around and see what could be causing it to begin with. If the cause doesn't get "fixed" you'll never be able to cure the bumblefoot.

What's the floor of the coop look like?
Is the roost up too high where the jump/landing is rough?

Just looked it up. It's a nut oil? Doubt it will cure an infection.
It cures infections in people, it has a lot of antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, also helps regenerate skin. My husband uses it on psoriasis outbreaks on his hands - works wonders on that. I've used it on myself for various skin things, helps them heal up with minimal scarring pretty quick.
I'm just wondering if anyone had ever used it or heard of it being used on chickens.

You need to look around and see what could be causing it to begin with. If the cause doesn't get "fixed" you'll never be able to cure the bumblefoot.

What's the floor of the coop look like?
Is the roost up too high where the jump/landing is rough?
I know the cause, she stepped on a branch that had fallen from a locust tree. They have wicked sharp nasty thorns. It's not a coop/roost issue. The coop floor is well insulated with bedding they have a 3 step roost with the first one starting low and they roost on the 4 inch side of a 2x4s which are well sanded. No splinters or sharp edges. Plus a ramp and a step stool. I saw her messing around the branch and heard her squawk and thought she just got spooked by something. I didn't realize it was a locust branch till later when I cleaned it up and by then the germs were already in the wounds and the bumbles had started. That was my bad for not being more diligent and I've learned my lesson. I'm much more careful about branches and checking all their feet regularly now.

Back
Top Bottom