Major bumblefoot

CHlCKEN

Addict
Jun 21, 2020
Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
A family friend has been dealing with bumblefoot on one hen for a few months now. Honestly the only thing I’ve heard that they have done is epsom salt soaking. I really don’t have too many details on what they have done although I wish I could report more. They’ve had chickens for a couple of years now and are decently experienced, but it sounds like this has gotten out of their hands. Found out today that this hen just lost two of her toes. Apparently they “became limp” and were “dangling from her foot” and so he cut them off… maybe for the best? I expect that if they weren’t completely dead yet that they were at least dying as it is my understanding that bumblefoot, if left untreated, can and will spread to the bone. I’m worried this hen may be too far gone if it’s already killed two toes but I’m going over there this week to treat her myself and do whatever I can. To me it sounds like they never actually removed the abscess but only tried topical and soaking treatment. Obviously that has not worked. I know how to treat bumble foot and I am completely competent in the removal and invasive processes, but I have to ask if I should I treat it differently in this specific case. I expect I will have to do a lot more, and in regard to the amputation how should we handle that? Right now they have taped a plastic fork to her foot to help her balance in replacement of her toes… I mean it’s innovative but I don’t know how to feel about it. My concern is the healing process of the amputation wound and if I should go back and check for any remaining dead tissue.

In short; How do I treat advanced bumblefoot that has already killed two toes? How do I handle the amputation wound? What specific treatments should I use in this case, and what products would work best?

Hopefully more details are to come.

Honestly the only thing I’ve heard

I really don’t have too many details

Why don't you have your friend open a BYC account so we can deal directly with them if they wish have some suggestions/need help.

A BYC account is free and they can post photos, explain what they have done so far for treatment and can answer and questions directly.

Why don't you have your friend open a BYC account so we can deal directly with them if they wish have some suggestions/need help.

A BYC account is free and they can post photos, explain what they have done so far for treatment and can answer and questions directly.
I’m the one who will be doing the treatment so I think it would be most helpful for any advice to be directed to myself rather than down the line.

I’ve confirmed that all treatments have only been topical so I’m not sure that any more information is relevant for a baseline course of action to be suggested. Of course if it’s really necessary I could ask, I just don’t want to bother them since it’s going to end up back in my hands anyway.

I don’t need too much instruction, just what products to use, how the toe amputation could play out, and if advanced bumblefoot requires anything more invasive or unusual in regard to abscess removal.

I haven’t seen the foot yet but I’ll be getting a picture tomorrow. All help is welcome and appreciated.

When you get there and actually see the foot, then take photos and we can offer suggestions.

You don't know about the amputation - was the foot damaged from frostbite? OR???
Who knows!!

It still doesn't sound like you know a lot about what's going on? You've not even seen the foot yourself. Without seeing it first and trying to evaluate it in person (You) how can we even offer any type of suggestions?
I haven’t seen the foot

You don't know about the amputation - was the foot damaged from frostbite? OR???
Who knows!!
Warm climate, no frostbite possible.

Here’s the photos I got… I have NO idea what the heck I’m looking at here :eek:
received_410936404805936.jpeg
Attachment.jpeg

The swelling is crazy. I can’t tell what that green stuff is… not pus I hope.

Warm climate, no frostbite possible.

Here’s the photos I got… I have NO idea what the heck I’m looking at here :eek:View attachment 3760113View attachment 3760114
The swelling is crazy. I can’t tell what that green stuff is… not pus I hope.
Did they use BluKote or something like Hen Healer on the wounds? It somewhat reminds me of blue/green ointments I've used in the past.

It would be good to know what treatments and medications that have been given/used and/or tried.

The yellow stuff looks like it may be pus, but hard to know since it could be some type of ointment?

Is there any odors at all? Bad or rotten smell?

Any clue as to what happened and they had to cut the toes off? Did the toes get broken or something?

The swelling and puffiness is concerning too. I would definitely start the hen on an antibiotic. What do you have?

Is the brownish part gauze, dried blood or part of her foot pad/skin?
As for caring for the foot. You can try daily soaks in warm epsom salts bath to see if that helps with the inflammation. She needs the antibiotics too.
Apply a thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment to any open wounds on the foot. Wrap and keep her on dry bedding. Change daily until it starts to heal over really well.

Did they use BluKote or something like Hen Healer on the wounds? It somewhat reminds me of blue/green ointments I've used in the past.
I forgot that stuff even existed, but yes.
It would be good to know what treatments and medications that have been given/used and/or tried.
They began with just epsom salt soaks and are continuing to do that. If you look closely you can see under the strange black and green area that the front toe has a dark spot. I assume this is the original bumblefoot and to me it looks like the scab is still there and the redness is conjoined with that. But it also looks as if its dark because it has been cut out and the area is bloody. They didn't mention if they ever removed the scab or not so I'll have to ask again.

Is there any odors at all? Bad or rotten smell?
I'll find out.
Any clue as to what happened and they had to cut the toes off? Did the toes get broken or something?
They died. I expect due to the spread of the infection but at the same time why not the toe that appears to be infected?
The swelling and puffiness is concerning too. I would definitely start the hen on an antibiotic. What do you have?
I use Neosporin and Vetericyn. What should I recommend?
Is the brownish part gauze, dried blood or part of her foot pad/skin?
If you zoom in, its almost certainly part of her foot with visible scales.
As for caring for the foot. You can try daily soaks in warm epsom salts bath to see if that helps with the inflammation.
They've been doing that so I guess thats + one point lol
She needs the antibiotics too.
Apply a thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment to any open wounds on the foot. Wrap and keep her on dry bedding. Change daily until it starts to heal over really well.
Again, what triple antibiotic should I recommend?

I forgot that stuff even existed, but yes.

They began with just epsom salt soaks and are continuing to do that. If you look closely you can see under the strange black and green area that the front toe has a dark spot. I assume this is the original bumblefoot and to me it looks like the scab is still there and the redness is conjoined with that. But it also looks as if its dark because it has been cut out and the area is bloody. They didn't mention if they ever removed the scab or not so I'll have to ask again.

I'll find out.

They died. I expect due to the spread of the infection but at the same time why not the toe that appears to be infected?

I use Neosporin and Vetericyn. What should I recommend?

If you zoom in, its almost certainly part of her foot with visible scales.

They've been doing that so I guess thats + one point lol

Again, what triple antibiotic should I recommend?
Triple antibiotic ointment on the foot is good to use. You can use Original Neosporin or a generic/store brand.

I'd try to source an oral antibiotic like Amoxicillin or Cephalexin, if possible, since they cut the toes off.

Back
Top Bottom