Taming Cassowaries? Is it possible?

Rosecomb Lover

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 31, 2014
I bought a cassowary chick just yesterday and named her Cassie. I was just wondering if there is a way to tame her before she reaches adulthood, because I know cassowaries are very aggressive. If there isn't I guess I'll just have to cope with it.

Last edited:
Hello, these animals are so cute although the lack intelligence. There are some who are able to recognize who feeds them as they hated me and loved my farm workers. I do not know how to exaclty tame them or if there is a possibilty, although ill have to say when they grow older you got to be careful of them pecking or kicking as they could do huge damage to you (God forbids). Best of luck with Cassie and hope you get the answer your searching for from a better experienced person. Bless =)

Last edited:
They have a spike on their feet or legs than can disembowel a person when they kick. If there are no other cassowaries around to cause her to have to defend herself, maybe the spikes can be surgically removed. Although, she might be at the mercy of predators, then. It would be like declawing a cat, which really isn't right. Don't know if cassowaries can be tamed, but I do know they are fascinating ratites. That helmet on their head dates back to prehistoric times.

Have you checked out the thread Casuarius started? They talk plenty in that about them not being tame, and are a beautiful bird to be looked at but not really able to interact with.

Back
Top Bottom