Tatanka Breeders Club: Meat Quail project with history, discussion, pictures and videos

A few of tonight's Tatanka eggs, again we have a couple of large egg layers & those that are the desirable hatching size eggs. Setting an early spring test batch of 67 here this evening. Again I have no birds or hatching eggs for sale at this time as this a continuation of a project that I started on back in 2012, maybe in the future.......who knows.....stay tuned !

Setting a few eggs from recently hatched hens that have been bred back to a couple of my original roo's from 2012. Great, great, great granddaddy !

Here are last week's weights from my current chicks.
28 days
191F
188F
180M
200F
181M
191M
187F
203F
Only two of the girls made the Tatanka weight goal of 200 grams for their age.

The younger batch at 21 days
Several made the Tatanka weight goal of 130 grams by 21 days.

Last edited:
Setting a few eggs from recently hatched hens that have been bred back to a couple of my original roo's from 2012. Great, great, great granddaddy !
How is the fertility for the older roos? I have one breeding group of hens set up with their grandfather, doing a fertility test now in the incubator. Not sure if he is even able to fertilize the biggest hens, they are over 30% bigger than he is.

Read the first page of the thread, most of the info is there.

It says hatching eggs are given. However since theres no recent posts i see with people popping in "oh i will send ys some from my group of tatankas".... So either theres a specific person to message/etc or everyone with them is thinking everyone else is giving eggs and so they dont need to.
Not saying thats happening i am just hopin to find out!

It says hatching eggs are given. However since theres no recent posts i see with people popping in "oh i will send ys some from my group of tatankas".... So either theres a specific person to message/etc or everyone with them is thinking everyone else is giving eggs and so they dont need to.
Not saying thats happening i am just hopin to find out!

If you look at the front of this thread. This project started long before Moby, (Model_A_Tractor, back then), ever started this thread. We sent out 100's of dozens of eggs. Even paid the shipping our selves..... Quite a few folks got flocks started. Then the folks that didnt believe the size or growth of bird started trouble...It's always been a problem.... That is one reason Moby started this thread. To document and record, with pix, scales and set standards, exactly what we were about..... It quickly turned from a "Pay-it-forward" deal, to a "where's my eggs" deal.... About the same time, several "stewards" started crossing in other lines and still callng them "Tatanka".... It got to the point we could not sign on to this site with out 20 to 30 PM's from people either wanting eggs or wanting to argue the line ever even existed.... At this point I know of only a handful of breeders of the "still pure" line.....Most lost interest, tired of the drama, Or simply quit talking about them here. Only one in the north east would occasionally sell eggs but never as "Tatanka", Just Jumbo Brown.... Most that still have the real deal, wont even admit it in a open, on line conversation. They are still out there. But only passed between friends. Just as they started....... So Im sorry, it is unlikely you will ever get "Real, Pure", TaTanka stock.... Looks Like Sill has some really nice birds. JMF, AF, are some really nice birds..... Buy the best birds you can find and some digital scales.... Put in the time and research. You'll have nice birds too.... Good Luck. Bill

Last edited:
Coturnix are so prolific and the generation turn-around is so quick that I wouldn't bother trying to get eggs. They have an impressive specimen but it's not like it's proprietary, just selective breeding over a few years' time. Nothing like trying to duplicate a Pearl Leghorn or Cornish X Rock.

Just keep the biggest birds and biggest eggs...breed...rinse and repeat.

Back
Top Bottom