Tatanka Breeders Club: Meat Quail project with history, discussion, pictures and videos

Look on craigslist, ask on here. Somebody will probably send you some eggs for the cost of shipping. They might not be the coveted Tatanka strain but who cares, you will see faster results if you start from a standard pharaoh coturnix bunch.

I would but there has to be somebody much closer so you'd get better hatch rates.

If you look at the front of this thread. This project started long before Moby, (Model_A_Tractor, back then), ever started this thread. We sent out 100's of dozens of eggs. Even paid the shipping our selves..... Quite a few folks got flocks started. Then the folks that didnt believe the size or growth of bird started trouble...It's always been a problem.... That is one reason Moby started this thread. To document and record, with pix, scales and set standards, exactly what we were about..... It quickly turned from a "Pay-it-forward" deal, to a "where's my eggs" deal.... About the same time, several "stewards" started crossing in other lines and still callng them "Tatanka".... It got to the point we could not sign on to this site with out 20 to 30 PM's from people either wanting eggs or wanting to argue the line ever even existed.... At this point I know of only a handful of breeders of the "still pure" line.....Most lost interest, tired of the drama, Or simply quit talking about them here. Only one in the north east would occasionally sell eggs but never as "Tatanka", Just Jumbo Brown.... Most that still have the real deal, wont even admit it in a open, on line conversation. They are still out there. But only passed between friends. Just as they started....... So Im sorry, it is unlikely you will ever get "Real, Pure", TaTanka stock.... Looks Like Sill has some really nice birds. JMF, AF, are some really nice birds..... Buy the best birds you can find and some digital scales.... Put in the time and research. You'll have nice birds too.... Good Luck. Bill
Exelcent post FD !! All I can say is that mine are as still as pure as I received them from you & TD, I've never crossed any others into the line here even though I was sent a number of different lines for free from JMF & a few others. I ended up culling all the others & sticking with the Tatanka line only. Some of others were decent birds but they had their issues & were just not quite the same as the Tanks, & as you know there's just something about this line that is superior to the others regardless of what all the others say about them. As it unfolded back in 2012 for me when I was a newbie with this line with birds that I hatched from eggs you & TD sent me I felt like I was being played by a few folks including JMF so they could try & get some Tatanka's from me or have me cross their lines into the Tatanka, but I'm not a fool & didn't take the bait on those deals. Even though some sent me a many free eggs they were never crossed with any of my Tatanka's here & I only ever shipped out hatching eggs to two individuals that used to be members of our little group back then. So ya'll boys can think what you want to about me but the Tatanka's I have are as pure today as the day they were sent to me & I plan on raising them for along time. Never veered from the guidelines set forth back in the beginning. As I've posted a number of times I have no birds or eggs for sale !!! Have a great evening !

I think the project is very fascinating to read about, and I'm glad I heard about you guys (admittedly through another forum that was rather ticked they couldn't get any eggs, and then sell them). I won't make the mistake of asking for any though, and I truly don't understand people being demanding when this project is clearly a labor of love that only a few people put together with a "pay-it-forward" mindset. That's really amazing to even come across, in this day and age, I have to say. Very cool.

Hopefully the Jumbos I eventually get (either American Pharoah or James Marie Farms Pharaoh from JMF) will be as large. I've been planning on giving them deep litter and other native-type features, organic feed (that's just because we like it), in their quail house to encourage more natural behavior. And, because they seem to love it (places to dig/roll in) so much.
ya.gif
We are very excited to be getting them, mostly for the eggs, but also for the meat for family members. I love that the eggs are more nutritious and will probably enjoy larger quail eggs since it will take less of them to equal a standard, albeit chicken, egg in recipes.
smile.png

How is the fertility for the older roos? I have one breeding group of hens set up with their grandfather, doing a fertility test now in the incubator. Not sure if he is even able to fertilize the biggest hens, they are over 30% bigger than he is.
Sill,
I just set a small batch of eggs from two pens that are all young hens with my (2) remaining roo's from 2012. Doing a small test batch to check their fertility as they are old & my last remaining birds from my original stock. Last year their fertility was still good the issues were with the older hens I had them paired up with. With the older hens egg production was dropping way off so I processed them all & am working with all younger birds this year with the exception of the (2) old roo's. Should know if fertility is still good in about 15-16 days from now

Here are last week's weights from my current chicks.
28 days
191F
188F
180M
200F
181M
191M
187F
203F
Only two of the girls made the Tatanka weight goal of 200 grams for their age.

The younger batch at 21 days
Several made the Tatanka weight goal of 130 grams by 21 days.
Just keep working with them & you can get them there ! It takes a lot of work but it can be done, cull very very hard & only keep the best of the best as your breeders.

I think the project is very fascinating to read about, and I'm glad I heard about you guys (admittedly through another forum that was rather ticked they couldn't get any eggs, and then sell them). I won't make the mistake of asking for any though, and I truly don't understand people being demanding when this project is clearly a labor of love that only a few people put together with a "pay-it-forward" mindset. That's really amazing to even come across, in this day and age, I have to say. Very cool.

Hopefully the Jumbos I eventually get (either American Pharoah or James Marie Farms Pharaoh from JMF) will be as large. I've been planning on giving them deep litter and other native-type features, organic feed (that's just because we like it), in their quail house to encourage more natural behavior. And, because they seem to love it (places to dig/roll in) so much.
ya.gif
We are very excited to be getting them, mostly for the eggs, but also for the meat for family members. I love that the eggs are more nutritious and will probably enjoy larger quail eggs since it will take less of them to equal a standard, albeit chicken, egg in recipes.
smile.png
JMF Pharaoh or his American Pharaoh are both nice size birds to work with, I have raised both lines before.

First Tatanka hatch of 2015 due right around 3/27. Checking fertility on birds that were hatched in November / December of last year. Stay tuned !
thumbsup.gif

First Tatanka hatch of 2015 due right around 3/27. Checking fertility on birds that were hatched in November / December of last year. Stay tuned !
thumbsup.gif
Got to love how fast quail mature! I bet waiting through the winter spell for more regular laying (unless you use lights) was a chore.
JMF Pharaoh or his American Pharaoh are both nice size birds to work with, I have raised both lines before.
Thanks!!
yesss.gif
I noticed Robbie charges a bit more for the American Pharaoh, so I'm not sure which type has the larger eggs or if lay rates differ. Care to opine?
old.gif

I just ordered eggs from JMF. Robbie told me that for large eggs for egg sales I should get the JM Pharaoh. If I wanted meat birds to go with the A&M or the American Pharaoh. Nice guy to talk to just wish I had a note pad while talking to him.

Question for Moby
How do you introduce the males and the females? I noticed that you have them in individual pens. I have tried taking hens out of different cages and putting them with a male then the fights break out. Just wondering what your secret is. I have kind of the same setup as you but it is home made. and the pens are 15"x24".
Mine eggs are not as big as yours but they have been getting bigger over the past two years. finally up to an average 12gram egg. Just having trouble in introducing the right pairs. Seems that if they didnt grow up together they fight. I have ordered some JMF pharaohs.
I started with ebay eggs cause they were cheep and had to see that I could do something with them. Now after reading this entire thread I realized I should have started with better stock. Now I can follow along with the steps you all have taken to get bigger eggs and birds.
My wife would love to no have to use so many eggs to make breakfast. My daughter has a chicken egg allergy that is why I am doing this. thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom