Tattered feathers on new pullets- . Please help!

Jenniwenni

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2023
Hi all! New here and this is my first time posting. I just met a lady this morning to buy a couple Pullets to add to my flock. When I first met with her, I was struck by how her pullets smelled bad from a few feet away. I noticed their feathers were all tattered. She had six Pullets in a small wire dog crate. My first instinct was not to buy because they didn’t look so hot… but i felt bad for them so I picked the two that seemed the friendliest.

They are currently quarantined away from my flock. I inspected them closely when I got home and didn’t see any bugs under wings, around vent. I wiped the dried poop off thier feathers as best as I could.

Posting a pic so you can see how the ends of their feathers are tattered. What could cause this? What should I do to make sure they are getting what they need to regrow healthy feathers?

They are 10 weeks old. Also spent a little time watching them after bringing them home. They are eating/drinking and are alert and curious. Poop looks normal.

Am i overreacting?

I am a very anxious chicken mom and I embrace that fact lol.
31E6698D-9553-4C0E-AA7B-3DCF5F051D99.jpeg

They look pretty good. Perhaps a little rough and smelly from being transported in a small cage. Hopefully they will pass quarantine with no problems.

Ok good! I was worried thier feathers didn’t look smooth like my other girls. I did look them over really carefully and I’m sure they don’t have mites or anything.

They are both really sweet and curious! Happy to have them join the flock! :)

Back
Top Bottom