Teaching a class about urban chickens and could use a little help!

Casey09

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 21, 2012
Phoenix AZ
ok so i have to talk for about 30 minutes about raising chickens in the city. its part of a series (ones on garden, ones chickens and ones near zero waste household) and i finished the other classes but im stuck on chickens. it shouldnt be this hard but im like you feed them and clean the coop, they poop and lay eggs and thats about it! lmao but i need at least 15 slides since i have to talk for half an hour
so far i have:
2.Why Chickens (instead of sheep or goats)
3.Pros
4.Cons
5.city laws
6.Keeping chickens on a budget
7.Breeds
8. resources (ill include websites including byc and books from the local library)

does anyone have any ideas for topics i can include? my brain is fried between the holidays and classes starting monday plus i got the crazy idea to volunteer to teach these 3 classes starting thursday....

**edited because my spelling was terrible...told you my brain is fried lol

Last edited:
you could do a part on what you can give chickens to eat and what's posinous to them
smile.png

oo thats a good one. i will add that in!! ill make it 2 slides and just type big lol. too bad i cant just put chickens eat everything...mine to they even ate all the seedlings i planted for flowers.....

If you want to interest them, put what benefits chickens could give to them:

Talk about how chickens are easier, cheaper, and more productive to keep and raise than any other live stock animal.

If you live in a hot place, put more heat tolerant breeds in your breeds slides.

Add how eggs from their backyard are healthier than store bought, include the different colors of eggs that each breed lays.

Include that you dont have to have a big coop in the yard to keep chickens, a small pen will do

You could also have a slide or two about how meat chickens and and battery cage egg laying hens are treated in big companies, so they know that keeping chickens in the yard is better and not cruel.

ya the heat tolerant birds are what im focusing on. i am going to throw a slide in how industry birds are treated but i have to keep it pg so ill just go into light details. if anyone asks more questions ill try to answer them in the most kid friendly way possible lol. its not FOR kids but it is at a family education class. i plan on bringing my 2 chicks in that i have and have lots of pictures of my big chickens. hopefully the girls will be laying again by then so that i can bring in an egg from each one to show the difference in the eggs. sadly the babies will not be laying their eggs will be the coolest but it will be fun to show off the chickens. this month is about my garden so i have a little time to figure out my chicken slides which is good since most of my knowledge is stuff ive picked up and put into practice rather than completly retain every detail lol

Back
Top Bottom