Teaching chickens to go in the house.

jackandkaren

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 15, 2016
My little flock is five weeks old and I just moved them into their new coop this week. It has been nice and warm this week so they have been outside a good part of the day. The trick is getting them into their house in the evening. I always end up chasing the last one around the pen. The first ones are perfectly happy to come to me. I can't seem to pick up two before one gets restless. How do I train them to go in the house?

My little flock is five weeks old and I just moved them into their new coop this week. It has been nice and warm this week so they have been outside a good part of the day. The trick is getting them into their house in the evening. I always end up chasing the last one around the pen. The first ones are perfectly happy to come to me. I can't seem to pick up two before one gets restless. How do I train them to go in the house?

They will eventually learn where to go, it just takes time. Many people suggest keeping them locked up in the coop for a couple weeks, so t hey learn where home is. I usually just keep them in over night and then chase them in. It usually takes about a week, but eventually everyone goes in without encouragement.

Are you chasing them around before dark? or waiting until it is dark?

Mine would head toward the coop at dusk and I'd help them by scooping them up and then moved a chair so they could get in on their own. So far, they have just gone in on their own. DH did have 2 nights where he moved them off the food hut while I was away for work though.

A little before. Maybe I need to wait a little longer but I've been a little worried about them getting cold. They will usually cluster together a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom